ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you! I looked on the Apeks website and, sure enough, they are still producing the ATX40 second stage. What's more, they still produce the ATX20 second stage, along with both the XTX40 and the XTX20. I obviously missed that. Interesting, although I am also now curious - why.

Apeks seems to bundle the ATX and AT regulators into packages that include a first stage, 2 second stages, and some type of gauge. I get the impression the AT is supposed to be their "value" line.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 07:57 AM ----------

I feel the atx purge button is easier to press than the xtx... But I'm new to this whole thing. Also I'm not saying they're not good or criticizing them, just wondering if I should go and get them checked again or whether I'm paranoid.

I agree with Buddha that there could be something wrong with the lever. If you shake the second stage does it rattle? The rattle is the lever hitting the diaphragm. It sounds as if the octo works so you have something to compare it to. If you have access to a tank then you could check the cracking pressure by slowly submerging the second stage mouthpiece up and see how deep it goes before the regulator starts to open. If a regulator is tuned too aggressively they tend to become unstable.

www.frogkick.dk - /
You will find Apeks service manuals for both ATX and XTX 1st and 2nd stages. It has everything you will ever need to know about the regs eg. testing procedure, troubleshooting etc etc. The schematic drawing is also very useful to identify parts eg Venturi lever and the adjusting screw.

Leakage or freeflow from 2nd stage:
1. High IP pressure(1st stage problem and shouldn't happen to a new reg).
2. Rubber seating damaged or worn( shouldn't happen to a new reg).
3. Seat crown incorrectly adjusted, lever set too high.
4. Seat crwon sealing surface damaged(shouldn't happen to a new reg).
5. Valve spring damaged(shouldn't happen to a new reg).

Remove the case cover(won't be easy for the 1st time) and check the height of the lever. It should be just below the rim with very little free play(1mm).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom