ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12:
What Vie said: if you're going tech and will use deco cylinders (most of the time on the left hand side), it makes sense that a second stage set up with LeftHand LP hose would be easier on hose routing.

Just wanted to make it clear that I do not advocate routing a hose from the left side of a second stage. I was just pointing out a possible configuration for an XTX second stage and how it differs from an ATX second stage.

*Floater*:
What's the difference between the ATX40/XTX40 and ATX50/XTX50 second stages?

The ATX40/XTX40 lacks the adjustable cracking control.

Both the XTX40 and XTX50 have the Changeable Exhaust Tees (DCE, Diver Changeable Exhaust) feature. The XTX40 only have one set supplied but the XTX50 comes with both sets.

Hi Guys!

So I've gone on the website and made up an excel table (a habit lately) that I've posted here and this is what I found as the difference between ATX and XTX 40.

Why should I spend anything on an XTX40 when I can same myself $200 almost and get the ATX 40 set (including matching 3rd/octo)????

I'm just putting in table format to easily see if there are any differences (and I am a newbie, but I don't see much of a diff except for the cosmetic features) Please tell me if I am mistaken. I am not planning on spending $200 for a different cosmetic appearance if that's the case!

ATX40 / DS4XTX40 / DSTStage
ConnectionsYoke and DIN availableYoke and DIN available1st
Type of first stageOver-balanced diaphragm design, environmentally sealedOver-balanced diaphragm design, environmentally sealed
Body TypeCylindrical with environmental dry seal (DS4)MP ports mounted on swivel turret (DST)
Number of HP ports1 (7/16" UNF)2 (7/16" UNF)
Number of MP ports4 (3/8" UNF)4 with 5th port option (3/8" UNF)
Environmental Dry KitStandardStandard
First stage exteriorChrome over marine brassChrome over marine brass
SideRHConvertible LH or RH2nd
Coldwater UseYesYes
Type of second stagePneumatically balancedPneumatically balanced
Integrated Venturi LeverYesYes
MouthpieceComfo-bite™Comfo-bite™
Exhaust teeDiver Changeable - comes with 2 setsDiver Changeable - supplied with small exhaust tee only.
Heat Exchanger for freezing resistanceYesYes
Hose type??Braided Flexi-hose
Overall work of breathing (WOB) scoresAvg. 0.85 joules/literAvg. 0.85 joules/liter
Nitrox compatibleYes to 40% O2 when new, out of the box / Can be O2 cleaned to 100%.Yes to 40% O2 when new, out of the box / Can be O2 cleaned to 100%.1st & 2nd
WeightYoke 1130gYoke 1230g / DIN 1100g

And BTW I take no credit for the info here since it has all been copied from the following 2 pages on the Apeks website:

XTX40 info: XTX40 Regulator

ATX40 Info: ATX40

There shouldn't be any difference on the performances but the price difference of US$200.00 is the deciding factor(for me at least). US$200.00 can easily buy a good octopus(eg ATX40) or a cheap computer.
I have three DS-4 for either rec or tec dive and a DST as deco reg. Can't tell the differences(breathing wise) between DS4, DST, FSR and US4 with my eyes shut.

There shouldn't be any difference on the performances but the price difference of US$200.00 is the deciding factor(for me at least). US$200.00 can easily buy a good octopus(eg ATX40) or a cheap computer.
I have three DS-4 for either rec or tec dive and a DST as deco reg. Can't tell the differences(breathing wise) between DS4, DST, FSR and US4 with my eyes shut.

Excluding the Flight, all Apeks regulators breath very similarly. If the diver does not need cold water performance the 20 series is a good choice. The can usually be found used very inexpensively.

Excluding the Flight, all Apeks regulators breath very similarly. If the diver does not need cold water performance the 20 series is a good choice. The can usually be found used very inexpensively.
I have T20, TX40, TX50, AT20 and ATX40 and they all breath the same.
The old Sentinel is another story.
I prefer the older models(TX) because the casing is really tough as compare with the ATX.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom