ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ams511, someone is selling their TX40s with DS4s if you're interested lemme know. I'll PM you their username and you can contact him. Excellent shape :) only reason I didn't get them myself is due to my inexperience in servicing regs myself and the exorbitant prices for service in the UAE :wink:

Centrals, if I'm not mistaken... 'Cold' refers to anything under 10 degrees Celsius. Right?

Ams511, someone is selling their TX40s with DS4s if you're interested lemme know. I'll PM you their username and you can contact him. Excellent shape :) only reason I didn't get them myself is due to my inexperience in servicing regs myself and the exorbitant prices for service in the UAE :wink:

Centrals, if I'm not mistaken... 'Cold' refers to anything under 10 degrees Celsius. Right?

As a general rule, yes.

Any views on the inexpensive AT20?

The AT20 is the same as the ATX-40 except it does not have the heat sink (plastic vs metal nut). It breathes the same. Usually it is paired with the unsealed US4 first.

The AT20 is the same as the ATX-40 except it does not have the heat sink (plastic vs metal nut). It breathes the same. Usually it is paired with the unsealed US4 first.

Thanks. The AT20 is pretty much the lowest cost Apeks regulator. Would you guys consider using the AT20 for Tec Training up to 50 meters in warm waters?

Thanks. The AT20 is pretty much the lowest cost Apeks regulator. Would you guys consider using the AT20 for Tec Training up to 50 meters in warm waters?
I don't see why not.
My tec set up is TX50 as primary and T20 as secondary. But I put an adjusting screw in the T20 so practically both my 2nd stages are the same except the T20 does not has a heat exchanger.

Here is what to remember about Apeks regulators:

Second Stages:
AT-20 is the "base" regulator. Designed for "warm water" use however its construction is no different than many other regulators. I would trust an AT-20 in cold water more than an older S600.
ATX-40 is an AT-20 that replaces the plastic barrel retaining nut with a metal nut that acts as a heat sink.
ATX-50 adds a metal adjuster to the ATX-40. There is a guy on eBay UK that sells these screws inexpensively if you want to upgrade.
ATX-100 and 200, same as ATX-50 with cosmetic changes.

First Stages:

DS4 has 4 3/8 IP ports and 1 7/16 HP port. The US4 is the unsealed version of this regulator
DST has 4 3/8 IP ports (5 with kit) and 2 7/16 HP ports. The UST is the unsealed version of this regulator
FSR and FST have 4 3/8 IP posts (5 with kit) and 2 7/16 HP ports.

Note: older DST, FSR and FST have 1/2 LP port replacing a 3/8 LP port.

The TX series is the oldest and it is a full size regulator.
The ATX series has a more compact case and adds a "micro adjuster" to the adjustment knob.
The XTX series uses a compact case that allows the diver to change the direction of the hose feed (good for sidemount) and has changeable exhaust tees. Some divers complain about bubble interference on the ATX series which uses a compact tee.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2015 at 01:09 AM ----------

Ams511, someone is selling their TX40s with DS4s if you're interested lemme know. :wink:

Are they in Dubai or the US?

Just purchased this for under $110 shipped. Zeagle was the US distributor for Apeks until 2000.

$_57.JPG

---------- Post added August 30th, 2015 at 01:15 AM ----------

Excellent shape :) only reason I didn't get them myself is due to my inexperience in servicing regs myself and the exorbitant prices for service in the UAE :wink:

Check out the Apeks flash presentation. It shows you how easy it is to rebuild the TX series of regulators.

Hi ams511, thanks for the info. They are in the USA. Very cool guy :wink: are you interested?

I decided to go with new ones since the cost would be the same. I'll take a look at the flash but I'm somewhat scared to be tinkering with something that might kill me if I do it wrong at the moment. Maybe when I'm more experienced hehe

Edit: he has 4 older DSTs (not sure if 1/2 or 3/8 LP ports though)

And the Dropbox you shared, that's awesome!!! I'll look at it when I'm home :wink: on my cellphone now.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

Oh! And I just remembered that when I called the service center here, the manager was nice enough to explain that Zeagle parts are the same as Apeks if they are the older modes and have the Apeks 'A' seal on the reg... That's how you know if they were made by Apeks for Zeagle or not :wink: just thought I'd share

You can PM me the person's info when you get a chance, I am in no rush.

Just to clarify. the older DSTs will have 1-1/2" IP port and 3-3/8, they are not all 1/2". Your welcome for the link, but I cannot take credit for the dropbox. That was done by Bryan at Vintage Double Hose.

Zeagle was the US distributor for Apeks until 2000 when the parent company of Aqualung purchased Apeks. Now Apeks' US distributor is Seaquest, so that is why you have the Apeks-Aqualung tie-in. Besides Zeagle, Beuchat also sold the TX series second stages. These do not have the little A on the cover. The first stages were a Beuchat design.

When you get ready to make the jump to DIY, there are many people in the DIY forum that can help you.

Back
Top Bottom