ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prthd9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a new reg and something I can use if I decide to go Tech next year. I am looking at the Apeks ATX 50 or the XTX 50. Any suggestions on the one I should get?

prthd9:
I am looking for a new reg and something I can use if I decide to go Tech next year. I am looking at the Apeks ATX 50 or the XTX 50. Any suggestions on the one I should get?

It really doesn't matter... The small differences are in the second stages.

The ATX/XTX50 is usually sold with the DST first stage so if you don't want the weird size 1/2" port, go with the XTX50/XTX DST combo.

Otoh, if you "decide to go Tech" then you don't really need the turret feature of the DST - I would just keep it simple and go with the DS4 first stage. This is basically a turret-less DST and comes with 3/8" ports as standard. Either ATX50/DS4 or XTX50/DS4 combo will serve you well. If you feel that you have a need for a second stage that can route from the left then definitely go with an XTX50.

Vie:
This is basically a turret-less DST and comes with 3/8" ports as standard.

Another difference is that DST comes with two HP ports (which you probably won't need). DS4 with one.

What Vie said: if you're going tech and will use deco cylinders (most of the time on the left hand side), it makes sense that a second stage set up with LeftHand LP hose would be easier on hose routing.

I just bought a XTX50 with the DS4 1st stage and egress octo yesterday. Primary on 7' hose, DIN. Haven't dove with it but it breathes like buttah above water :wink:

Hello,
Just wondering if the weird size 1/2" port produces more volume of air than the smaller ports?
Regards,
Doug

hydro12:
What Vie said: if you're going tech and will use deco cylinders (most of the time on the left hand side), it makes sense that a second stage set up with LeftHand LP hose would be easier on hose routing.

You can route the hose behind the head so it comes around from the right, which is pretty simple to begin with, so a left-handed hose wouldn't really be that much more useful.

hydro12:

But, have you heard that more training can compromise that problem? LOL~~

I am just teasing you..... :D

Back
Top Bottom