Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to get one of these just so I can see the rabid anti-DIR crowd get their knickers in a knot when I bring it out. And then set up my Meg while standing on it. They will lose their minds trying to figure out if they should laugh, cry, puke, or just shut up, The DIR divers I dive with couldn't give a shift what kind of mat I have but apparently it's a huge trigger for others here on S'board.
Kind of weird how I bring up an age-old question asking for a simple answer and all it did was prove that there are divers that are just as dogmatically “anti-DIR” and that SB old-timers have short memories.

Kind of weird how I bring up an age-old question asking for a simple answer and all it did was prove that there are divers that are just as dogmatically “anti-DIR” and that SB old-timers have short memories.
Right. Nothing like that going on today.

Right. Nothing like that going on today.

Yeah. Because PADI does a terrible job self-regulating and you read way too much into a tongue-in-cheek post.

I’ve seen quality PADI shops, but let’s just say that a significant portion of them have left me less than impressed.

I got my OW training through PADI. I’m going to leave the finer details out but let’s just say that the shop that certified me had a very serious incident associated with them not long after that was entirely preventable.

Kinda weird how used gear is suddenly trash because you don't know its history lol

Take it to a professional and have it serviced. I've bought all my regs used, 8 1sts and countless 2nds, and only know the history of 2. One of my 2nds is a relic SP109 that was just converted to a balanced 2nd.

You're something special man lol

20240801_181600.jpg

I bought secondhand regs once when I was a broke “new diver” from a shop in Washington. Primary failed on me less than ten dives in. Could not source parts for them for repair because they were “too old”.

Laugh all you want. I’m going to opt for quality equipment since, you know, I’m partaking in an activity with inherent risk.

Kinda weird how used gear is suddenly trash because you don't know it's history lol

Take it to a professional and have it serviced. I've bought all my regs used, 8 1sts and countless 2nds, and only know the history of 2. One of my 2nds is a relic SP109 that was just converted to a balanced 2nd.

You're something special man lol

View attachment 855280

Some gear cannot be readily serviced, for one. Manufacturer or LDS may not support them. Even if they do, you may be paying more just to get them fixed up five minutes after you buy them. I’ve literally had this happen to me and learned the hard way.

Scubapro? Yeah, that might be fine.

I’m like this with other equipment that has nothing to do with diving. I just like to know how well something has been maintained, and I only know that if I own it.

If you know what you’re doing, sure, maybe it’s fine, but the average person is probably better off buying new. And no, it doesn’t have to have “the big H” on it or anything to be quality.

Stop misquoting me. I didn’t say it was “trash”, I said it was risky.

I’ve seen quality PADI shops, but let’s just say that a significant portion of them have left me less than impressed.

I got my OW training through PADI. I’m going to leave the finer details out but let’s just say that the shop that certified me had a very serious incident associated with them not long after that was entirely preventable.
I have seen quite a few PADI shops and gotten instruction from some PADI instructors, but relative to the number of them worldwide I have had very very little exposure to such shops and instructors. We should be careful not to extrapolate our relatively tiny bits of firsthand data to "PADI" in general. That is exactly the root of what we call impermissible "agency bashing" around here.

[/

Buying secondhand regs is risky.

Congratulations on making it work. Most people either don’t know what to look for, or do not wish to waste time pushing their luck looking for bargains on CL that won’t fail on them as soon as they jump into the water.
All of my used regs were given to me by various sources. I do all my own work so I can go throught them and repair/service as needed. I’ve never run across a reg that was too far gone to restore.
Tanks, same thing.

people in the dive community will write off DIR-minded divers as egotistical, unhelpful, and aloof…
re: OP (I haven't read the 31 pages of responses yet)

I stay FAR away from Facebook. However, even on ScubaBoard, many of my highly unpleasant interactions are with the DIR or GUE divers. Often, I've found a degree of hostility, a sense others are Doing It Wrong™ and their opinions don't matter.

For example, I remember I once accidentally commented on a DIR or GUE thread on SB, and there were 6+ pages (until I had mods delete the comment) of people attacking me and implying a lack of intelligence, for daring to comment in a DIR/GUE thread with no signs of stopping, despite that being my only comment.

I'm not aware of any group of "DIR/GUE Haters" going around spreading resentment, at least not on SB. Instead, it's something many discover on their own from first-hand experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom