Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't forget #9. One must feel the substrate while not actually touching it. That is why the H-mat is made of thin material like a clapped out yoga mat.

I prefer to not feel it and thus use a 1/2" foam pad.
Oh no, not *checks notes* a dive mat with someone’s preferred brand on it!

You probably have a t-shirt with Budweiser or some other logo on it.

Oh no, not *checks notes* a dive mat with someone’s preferred brand on it!

You probably have a t-shirt with Budweiser or some other logo on it.
Silly GUE guy, don't get mad at the jokes we make at your expense(ive habits). The mat was funny and tell tale to the style he was diving.

Silly GUE guy, don't get mad at the jokes we make at your expense(ive habits). The mat was funny and tell tale to the style he was diving.
Man, the mentioning of the Halcyon mat took me back to the DIR “discussions” on the California Scuba Diving BBS around 2001.

IMG_5362.gif

Who said I was a GUE guy?

Expensive habits? Funny. That implies the existence of inexpensive habits. Wonder where I can pick up some inexpensive habits in the realm of scuba diving?

Who said I was a GUE guy?

Expensive habits? Funny. That implies the existence of inexpensive habits. Wonder where I can pick up some inexpensive habits in the realm of scuba diving?
Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

I dive the cheapest reg on Amazon, a steel 72 born in 1968 I got for $35 off Craigslist, a DC from eBay, and fins also from CL. It can be done.

I dive the cheapest reg on Amazon, a steel 72 born in 1968 I got for $35 off Craigslist, a DC from eBay, and fins also from CL. It can be done.
Scuba diving definitely can be done for pennies on the dollar if you know what to look for and have a bit of good luck, right place right time.
All my current steel 72’s and one LP 85 were all free, rescued from the cynics and there’s nothing wrong with them.
A lot of my regs the same thing.
None of my stuff is DIR compliant, and I’ve worked very hard to make sure it stays that way.

Maybe if you can get one made with Kubi written on it...
View attachment 855201
I have to get one of these just so I can see the rabid anti-DIR crowd get their knickers in a knot when I bring it out. And then set up my Meg while standing on it. They will lose their minds trying to figure out if they should laugh, cry, puke, or just shut up, The DIR divers I dive with couldn't give a shift what kind of mat I have but apparently it's a huge trigger for others here on S'board.

Tanks, fins, backplates, and weights are one thing, but buying secondhand regs at a “bargain price” with a suspect service history is just asking for trouble. Ask me how I know.

Diving is an inherently expensive hobby no matter how you slice it unless you’re idea of diving is spend an inordinate amount of time searching for “deals” that may not pan out when you have an incident or you’re spending the money you thought you saved on repair or replacement.

At the end of the day, scuba is expensive.

Unless you’re into vintage scuba and know what you’re looking for, buy new or verifiably LIGHTLY used gear.

[/
Scuba diving definitely can be done for pennies on the dollar if you know what to look for and have a bit of good luck, right place right time.
All my current steel 72’s and one LP 85 were all free, rescued from the cynics and there’s nothing wrong with them.
A lot of my regs the same thing.
None of my stuff is DIR compliant, and I’ve worked very hard to make sure it stays that way.

Buying secondhand regs is risky.

Congratulations on making it work. Most people either don’t know what to look for, or do not wish to waste time pushing their luck looking for bargains on CL that won’t fail on them as soon as they jump into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom