Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So can we have a new, agency agnostoc term for egotistical arseholes who not only think they are god's gift to the sport, but that everyone else is going to die of imcompetence?

What is DIR?

A kit config? A set of rules? An attitude? Just backmount with longhose, valve knobs to twiddle and all stages left?

It's like current politics where the "left" screams "far right" and the "right" screams "snowflakes": seems that the screaming is all that matters to them.

one does not simply forget about DIR2.jpg

Some observations I’ve had on some Facebook groups including- ironically- the DiveTalk one, is that people in the dive community will write off DIR-minded divers as egotistical, unhelpful, and aloof… yet when they do offer their perspective on something, it’s immediately shot down and written off as elitism.

These principles are “tech-centric”. They can help divers at any level.

Then you wonder why these people are apparently “aloof” and don’t want to talk to you to begin with?

I think we have had enough threads on this subject over the years. Live and let live. I dive the way I want to based on my decades of experience. I just want to see pretty fish in warm and clear water and take pictures, no attitude diving for me. It is all good.

What was funny last night is knowing exactly what style of diving one of the guys adhered to just by looking at the ground near his truck. A nice blue changing mat the size of a yoga mat with HALCYON shining bright in the middle of it.

What was funny last night is knowing exactly what style of diving one of the guys adhered to just by looking at the ground near his truck. A nice blue changing mat the size of a yoga mat with HALCYON shining bright in the middle of it.
It was probably a $500 changing mat, lol 😂

My buddy and I were laughing when we saw it. I use a single foam mat from harbor freight. It is from an interlocking set of 4, cost $6, and I have the other 3 in my garage still.
I just use a 6’x8’ tarp that I got at Harbor Freight for less than $10.

My buddy and I were laughing when we saw it. I use a single foam mat from harbor freight. It is from an interlocking set of 4, cost $6, and I have the other 3 in my garage still.

I just use a 6’x8’ tarp that I got at Harbor Freight for less than $10.

An abuse of rule #6?

Back
Top Bottom