Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I need to post a bit more about the ScubaBoard history with DIR. Back in the day, it was decided that ScubaBoard needed a DIR forum, where DIR divers could talk about DIR without any interference from the outside world. It had its own moderator (Lamont), and in order to be a member, you had to have bona fide DIR training.

This will no doubt shock some people, but I was one of the first members, and I was a very active participant.

After 27 pages, I'm headed over to the fin forums to start a row about split fins and that real divers use Jets.

I miss the old Scubaboard sometimes.

I think I need to post a bit more about the ScubaBoard history with DIR. Back in the day, it was decided that ScubaBoard needed a DIR forum, where DIR divers could talk about DIR without any interference from the outside world. It had its own moderator (Lamont), and in order to be a member, you had to have bona fide DIR training.

This will no doubt shock some people, but I was one of the first members, and I was a very active participant.
Why would they need a separate forum and have to isolate themselves?
And I also have to ask, who originally fired the first shot?

Why would they need a separate forum and to isolate themselves?
No different than the PADI pros with their own exclusive group.

Let's not forget the looks of disgust from the GUE hard chargers when you walk past them with an upside down back mounted pony, air2, suicide clips, gear retractors, and a drysuit that isn't black. I have dive friends that are GUE and even they look at me like I'm walking death. Deep air talks make them turn white.
The original DIR drysuit was dark blue with red overlays (plus a van key). I made a pilgrimage to see it in Åland.😂
36225870_662530910757605_8963880171643863040_n.jpg

The original DIR drysuit was dark blue with red overlays (plus a van key). I made a pilgrimage to see it in Åland.😂
View attachment 855113
I ran into a few groups of GUE divers tonight. The first trio had gray on black suits x2 and one all teal. The second group was 1 gray on black and x2 all black. The 2nd group had a guy walking to the entry with his mask on his forehead while his buddies had theirs on backwards. I asked him if he was in distress and needed help or if he was OK (all while my buddy and I were chatting post dive in shorts and t-shirt). It took him a few seconds and then his buddies laughed at him and pointed it out. Good times were had.

I pretty much discovered that years ago. I created a brief course (first a workshop, then an approved course) that taught the tech/DIR skills for recreational divers. There turned out to be pretty much no market for it. "Why do I need that?" was the general response.
All divers could benefit from DIR, but DIR is not for all divers. And that's fine.

I sense envy. :p
Naw. Some people are so thin skinned they need a safe space to avoid merited criticism.

Many folks in the DIR community are tired of the snowflakes crying about elitist attitudes, some of which is warranted (more from the past), some of it isn't. But they need to put on their big boy pants and just ignore it. There is a tendency of inadequacy from the mainstream agencies for lower standards and just mediocrity overall.

Again, if people understood that GUE (as an example of DIR) has a system for getting out of trouble from complicated dives far above what all but maybe a few hundred people might ever do, there'd be less bickering.

I'll listen to people with new ideas, but look into it and make up my own mind. I spent time with AG years about about the Z-system. I kept an open mind, but couldn't find the benefits outweighting the downsides. Just like the GUE JJ-CCR setup. But others have different views and take away what they wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom