Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What made you think DIR divers do not commit such cardinal sin?
Go find videos of a group of DIR divers standing on a reef as part of the way the class is taught. I’ll wait.

The training emphasis precise control in the water from the recreational level up. That is not the case for any of the other legacy agencies. People want to complain about dir divers, with out saying hey maybe I should work to better myself and my students.

Lol, millions of divers annually do just fine. Would it be better if they were trained to be weighted properly and flat from the get? Yes it would. Are they going to do anything about it? Probably not. The vast majority of divers rent gear and go out at most once per year.

I'm glad you find joy in staying in perfect formation with your companions while not ever straying from the plan. Your continued harping is what makes your group a laughing stock and pushes rec divers away.

Oggity boogity, a solo dive to 150 on air is in my future. I might even breathe off my air 2 while down there.

I tend to dive solo, but when I dive off a boat in some tropical location, I'm pretty horrified (most recently Cuba and Belize). I know most of the people have just no clue, but as I tend to hang in the back when guided in a group, I just watch carnage. If the definition of just fine for divers is slowly destroying reefs, then I agree. But that's not my definition of just fine. I have a few friends who have lamented that as dive sites became popular, the health of them declined.

Go find videos of a group of DIR divers standing on a reef as part of the way the class is taught. I’ll wait.

The training emphasis precise control in the water from the recreational level up. That is not the case for any of the other legacy agencies. People want to complain about dir divers, with out saying hey maybe I should work to better myself and my students.
DIR diver has the word DIR etched on their foreheads! How can you tell if they are DIR or whatnot?
Even DIR instructor got the license revoked!!! Committed something even worst than standing on the reefs.

Have you met any DIR divers smoked?

“Commit to excellence”

It doesn’t say that others can’t be excellent it doesn’t say that you are all excellent.

It’s stating that you should “be dedicated to becoming outstanding”

If you’re seeking to continually improve then you are very much committed to excellence. I’m not sure why it has a negative connotation in your head, and I’m not sure why other people feel attacked when someone else says they’re going to commit to excellence or that is an organizational saying.

Would you all prefer that it was something like “commit to being average” or maybe “pursue mediocrity”

If you feel attacked by someone or an organization saying commit to excellence that’s entirely in your head, because it isn’t saying anything about you.
I get your point, but rephrasing the message as I "should" be dedicated to becoming "outstanding" does not make me feel like there is any less weight on my shoulders. How about I should be dedicated to becoming a better diver and leave it at that? I'm an old guy who got into this late, and I will never excel or be outstanding compared with many other divers at this level, though I have made a lot of progress. If what they mean is that I should commit to being more "excellent" or "outstanding" than I was before, then, well, okay, but that's an awkward interpretation.

Even DIR instructor got the license revoked!!! Committed something even worst than standing on the reefs
Interesting attempt at moving the goal post but ok.

So you’re saying that someone was sanctioned for their actions. That’s novel, maybe the legacy agencies should try it.

A good buddy can help you out a lot if you're interested in honest feedback.
This is exactly how I find stuff to work on and correct.

May I suggest Don Pierce owner of Off the Hook diving in Lacey for a fundies like workshop on sidemount?
I have considered sidemount, but find that carrying tanks on the back is much easier than carrying them with arms down to the water. To be honest, I have no interest in technical diving. Going beyond recreational limits is not something that I aspire to achieve. Diving is a great stress relief as it clears the mind of all other things that are not diving related. I don't need to go into a cave or below 100' to get that relief. I enjoy my diving for what it is and improve on skills when diving with those who are seeking professional cert or those retired from professional status. I have and will continue to adopt DIR configurations as they meet my needs. I use a modified long hose now, don't need 7' but the 5' works great for me. A modified BP/W is in my future. At some point I will audit a Fundies class, but right now I live too far from an LDS so classroom is not possible.

Back
Top Bottom