Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A LOT is not synonymous with all. You’re painting with a broad brush and your comments are representative of the very attitude that annoys many of us. You’re talking down about non dir divers’ skill (which may or may not be accurate) , you’re assuming their criticism must be coming from jealousy, you’re questioning their (financial) motives, and your making assumptions about their diving history.

Pertinent details and or admissions; I am an instructor , I don’t sell **** and I certainly don’t teach for money, I passed fundies on the first go round, I’ve learned more from mentors than I have any instructor, and lastly I dive pretty darn close to completely DIR compliant.

Any anti DIR sentiment I have started long before I learned anything about the old school DIR guys or the so called DIR wars. My sentiments started with my own eyes and ears. It’s fascinating to repeatedly be told that all of my experiences must have occurred 25 years ago and are just a thing of the past.

I think one of the smartest things I ever heard was from an old school die hard DIR adherent; DIR would be much more accepted if it wasn’t for the divers.
“A LOT is not synonymous with all. You’re painting with a broad brush and your comments are representative of the very attitude that annoys many of us. You’re talking down about DIR divers’ intention (which may or may not be accurate) , you’re assuming their criticism must be coming from egoism, you’re questioning their (financial) motives, and your making assumptions about their perspectives on how other people dive.”

See the point we’re making now?

I pretty much discovered that years ago. I created a brief course (first a workshop, then an approved course) that taught the tech/DIR skills for recreational divers. There turned out to be pretty much no market for it. "Why do I need that?" was the general response.
I’m not an instructor so take this for what’s it’s worth, but based off my general experience with other OW people they simply just don’t know. People tend to be more motivated when they know the “why” behind something, not just “do x skill in x situation”.

But you probably are well-aware of this as an instructor.

I pretty much discovered that years ago. I created a brief course (first a workshop, then an approved course) that taught the tech/DIR skills for recreational divers. There turned out to be pretty much no market for it. "Why do I need that?" was the general response.
Primacy

1722959231544.png

“A LOT is not synonymous with all. You’re painting with a broad brush and your comments are representative of the very attitude that annoys many of us. You’re talking down about DIR divers’ intention (which may or may not be accurate) , you’re assuming their criticism must be coming from egoism, you’re questioning their (financial) motives, and your making assumptions about their perspectives on how other people dive.”

See the point we’re making now?

No I do not understand your point as you have not clearly articulated it, you just took my post and changed a few words. I find non plagiarized posts much easier to understand as well as compelling.

Cleary you completely ignored where I said I was calling out crofrog post explicitly.

When you create a thread asking a question and then attempt to berate those who reply, we call that trolling.

When you create a thread asking a question and then attempt to berate those who reply, we call that trolling.
I don't think he was really asking a question. It is more likely he was looking for affirmation of his POV, which he got very little of.

I don't think he was really asking a question. It is more likely he was looking for affirmation of his POV, which he got very little of.
Here’s really what I’d consider trolling.

I’ve got plenty and I stopped responding to you, as I’d probably have a more productive discussion with a wall.

I stopped responding to you, as I’d probably have a more productive discussion with a wall.
Yep, that is exactly how I felt...hence my ignoring your posts.
You are not listening to any input, but rather trying to denigrate anything you disagree with.
I don't think you even know you are doing this.....
Have fun.

No I do not understand your point as you have not clearly articulated it, you just took my post and changed a few words. I find non plagiarized posts much easier to understand as well as compelling.

Cleary you completely ignored where I said I was calling out crofrog post explicitly.

Lostsheep, the point of this whole post was to examine why DIR divers get clumped into the proselytizing category as soon as they open their mouths.

I’m only making that point as to say that the standard it appears you’re applying works both ways. It’s possible that I missed something as I am very busy today and only skimmed through the last few posts.

Please explain to me how I’m trolling anybody here? I’m not berating anyone except the people here posting ludicrous bait and those that choose to prove my point right rather than give a thoughtful response. Plenty of people have done the latter that I don’t even agree with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom