Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you realize that by persisting in this thread with a defense of DIR that you might come off as a zealot? I'm sure you're a kind, patient, non-judgmental, reserved kind of DIR diver, as I'd like to believe I am, and others here like @steinbil probably are, but the more you persist with the defensive-sounding replies, the more you might bias others into believing you're not what you think you are. Just food for thought.
That’s really not my intent. Just being direct. I don’t see myself as a zealot, and I don’t even agree with every single GUE/DIR-related idea. It just seems like many divers have this idea of a “DIR Bogeyman” that they project onto anyone that espouses anything DIR-related who will tear them apart over a bolt snap or something. Probably a vestige from the “DIR Wars” I keep reading about that were before my time, but that’s beside the point.

That’s really not my intent. Just being direct. I don’t see myself as a zealot, and I don’t even agree with every single GUE/DIR-related idea. It just seems like many divers have this idea of a “DIR Bogeyman” that they project onto anyone that espouses anything DIR-related who will tear them apart over a bolt snap or something. Probably a vestige from the “DIR Wars” I keep reading about that were before my time, but that’s beside the point.
I understand. It's frustrating to watch, but maybe we're better off not picking at the scab, so to speak? Just let it be? Maybe there will always be DIR jerks.

Continous webbing and non-ditchable weight come to my mind. It make the live of the poor guy hauling your tank into the Zodiak so much easier if it is a couple of kilos lighter. And for your average rec diver it's far easier to get out of the BCD if there is a buckle to open.
Non ditchable weight isn't DIR. Watch the tapes.

but the more you persist with the defensive-sounding replies

Dude so one can't be offensive, can't be defensive, can't do anything that doesn't suit everyone else, can't fart

can't....

I understand. It's frustrating to watch, but maybe we're better off not picking at the scab, so to speak? Just let it be? Maybe there will always be DIR jerks.

But mate those scabs should have healed by now forbid we raise again those pitchforks into a 1000yr vendetta

Thing is with all these guys they know they can, and no matter what the people say, the people just don't like it

Yes they can which we should be thankful they want to share

So we can make informed unbiased decisions which we can't

I guess I should have said "if my "Buddy" and I come out of the water or bedroom with a smile..."

But you said it dude so that should leave some food for your thoughts

Non ditchable weight isn't DIR. Watch the tapes.
It seems that quite a few DIR divers did not watch the tapes as well. Because I well remember GUE-trained divers telling us strokes that ditchable weight was a sign of an unsafe diver. So we are at the beginning of this thread: Why do some people just roll their eyes and tune out when a DIR diver starts talking to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom