Attaching accesories with bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been reading and hearing about the right way to attach stuff (backup lights, etc.) to a single-end bolt snap using cave line. I just wasn't sure what counts as "cave line". Is there only one particular line that should be used? If I have a spool for deploying an smb, should I just cut some off from that to use?
Basic question I know, but I am new and not sure what is really meant by cave line.
Also, any good resources on the type of knots to use? I hear things like "Use a reef knot", but I have no idea what that is.
Thanks,
Jason

A reef knot is nothing more than a square knot, the kind you learn in Boy/Girl Scouts. The name comes from the fact that it's commonly used to 'reef' a sail, i.e. make a sail smaller by tying part of it to the boom.

jpedwards:
A reef knot is nothing more than a square knot, the kind you learn in Boy/Girl Scouts. The name comes from the fact that it's commonly used to 'reef' a sail, i.e. make a sail smaller by tying part of it to the boom.
Use a square knot with caution. It is NOT a good way to join two lines, or the make a loop by joining the ends of one line.

When reefing a sail, the pressure of the bundled sail keeps the knot from coming undone, otherwise a square knot or reef knot is unreliable.

In the link Mstudley posted, the reef/square knot is compressing the multiple loops of cord, and therefore is safe.

If you get the masons twine be sure to get the braided and not the twisted kind.

Joe

Charlie99:
In the link Mstudley posted, the reef/square knot is compressing the multiple loops of cord, and therefore is safe.
Also, mashing down the molten ends (last step or two in the link) helps keep if from pulling through.

And of course, a dab of super glue, and you're pretty much done.

Also, the most common weight of mason line we like to use is 24# (what you'll find on most spools and reels). My home depot however, likes to carry 18#, works in a pinch but seems a little thin.

Most spools come with plenty of extra line, cut off a decent amount (so you won't have to do it again) and tie another loop.

I do three loops then two square knots, on opposite sides, melt the ends and a little of each knot and be done with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom