Attaching accesories with bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnixSage:
How long does this last? It would seem to me that it would wear very quickly given the enviroment. Also would you attach a SPG like http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/img/rg2759nhlg.jpg
the same way?

With the exception of the bolt snap on my goodman handle, none of my ties have failed/worn in the past 300+ dives... now if I'd just take the time to round the edges on my current goodman like I did on my original canister light... that wouldn't be an issue anymore either! :)

Charlie99:
Is there a DIR prohibition on dissimilar metal-to-metal contact, or is the prohibition on metal to metal connections simply a mechanical restriction on things like stage bottle boltsnaps on rings captured by the valve, where that wouldn't leave you with a way to cut it free if entangled?
Hey Charlie,

Not sure you ever got a clear answer to this one. Its the latter.

You need to be able to cut gear free.

Coupla things...first, fine silt in some caves can jam the boltsnap so its stuck. Only option for getting it off could conceivably be cutting where its tied on. Metal to metal would obviously preclude cutting oneself free.

Second, you can get keyholed - e.g. you fit through a restriction fine going in, but get jammed trying to come out. Its conceivable that you could get jammed in such a manner that you can neither go forwards nor backward (i.e. tank butt fits up into hole in overhead in such a manner that you cannot go backwards, but you can't go forwards either, etc.)

[Yes, its anecdotal. No, I've never been stuck that way. Yes, George has described it happening. Yes, if it occurred to me it would ruin my entire day... :) ]

Your buddy will be able to un-jam you, most likely, and give you endless loads of grief. Depending on how tightly you're wedged, tho, it might be easier to cut off a boltsnap to remove a bit of gear to unscrew you. Again, if its two metal fastening devices, can't be cut away. (Also remember that your buddy might not be able to see all that well if the restriction becomes silty...in such situations having metal to metal connections could make life much more exciting...)

All things considered, avoiding metal to metal connections seems like a swell idea for overhead environments.

JMHO..., YMMV.

Doc Intrepid:
Hey Charlie,

You need to be able to cut gear free..
Yeah, I figured as much. Just wanted confirmation.

My b.s. detector went off when someone posted that that metal-to-metal connections were avoided due to " ...chemical reactions at the point where the two metals connect. This could lead to fusing of the metals, or there could be corrosion of the spg neck, "

wb416:
With the exception of the bolt snap on my goodman handle, none of my ties have failed/worn in the past 300+ dives... now if I'd just take the time to round the edges on my current goodman like I did on my original canister light... that wouldn't be an issue anymore either! :)
LOL! I just replaced the cave line on my goodman handle yesterday for this very reason. I also need to take a file to my handle.

Doc Intrepid:

You need to be able to cut gear free.

Coupla things...first, fine silt in some caves can jam the boltsnap so its stuck. Only option for getting it off could conceivably be cutting where its tied on. Metal to metal would obviously preclude cutting oneself free.
Hey Doc, I just got a Larry Green primary reel just like your safety reel (complete with Jasper handle). The snap bolt is connected metal to metal. Should this be changed? Would cave line do (tie it on) or would a bungie loop and double ender be better? Of course being my primary reel hopefully it's not clipped off upon entering the overhead. Thoughts?

Jason

Jason B:
Hey Doc, I just got a Larry Green primary reel just like your safety reel (complete with Jasper handle). The snap bolt is connected metal to metal. Should this be changed? Would cave line do (tie it on) or would a bungie loop and double ender be better? Of course being my primary reel hopefully it's not clipped off upon entering the overhead. Thoughts?
Hey Jason,

Heh...as noted, I avoid restrictions that are smaller and more oddly shaped than I am! :)

I just carry mine on my butt D-ring. I left it like it came from Larry's kitchen table. I figure that, hanging down off my butt and sorta between my thighs like that, if it gets wedged somewhere I have a whole lot more serious problems than a tight restriction to deal with! :D And besides, I don't want my buddy sawing away down there with a knife anyway!

(Somewhat) more seriously, with a primary you're either using it or you're not. If you are, its in your hand. If you're not, its hanging off your butt D-ring. Not a big risk either way. I'd be much more concerned about bottles and batteries, etc. that are clipped off port (or starboard) for whatever reason.

But I'm not a very experienced caver, and the guys who are may feel differently about it. Lets see if Doppler chimes in here. Steve knows Larry and his stuff, and has way more cave dives than I do...

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Hey Jason,

I figure that, hanging down off my butt and sorta between my thighs like that, if it gets wedged somewhere I have a whole lot more serious problems than a tight restriction to deal with! :D And besides, I don't want my buddy sawing away down there with a knife anyway!

Good point!

Jason

Doc Intrepid:
Hey Jason,

Heh...as noted, I avoid restrictions that are smaller and more oddly shaped than I am! :)

I just carry mine on my butt D-ring. I left it like it came from Larry's kitchen table. I figure that, hanging down off my butt and sorta between my thighs like that, if it gets wedged somewhere I have a whole lot more serious problems than a tight restriction to deal with! :D And besides, I don't want my buddy sawing away down there with a knife anyway!

(Somewhat) more seriously, with a primary you're either using it or you're not. If you are, its in your hand. If you're not, its hanging off your butt D-ring. Not a big risk either way. I'd be much more concerned about bottles and batteries, etc. that are clipped off port (or starboard) for whatever reason.

But I'm not a very experienced caver, and the guys who are may feel differently about it. Lets see if Doppler chimes in here. Steve knows Larry and his stuff, and has way more cave dives than I do...

Doc

If your exploration reel somehow became hopelessly tangled in your backup scooter leash and you could not get it off your butt d-ring, what would you rather you buddy cut, your scooter leash or the reel that can be discarded?

Jason[/QUOTE]

Thats something i've always wanted to know....seems to me like all the spools i've seen, including Halcyon's, have a metal to metal connection where the boltsnap is connected to the handle. Most replies to this question are: "well you are either using the spool or you are not..." which really doesnt answer why this one metal to metal connection is ok. Answers?

srbsep:
Thats something i've always wanted to know....seems to me like all the spools i've seen, including Halcyon's, have a metal to metal connection where the boltsnap is connected to the handle. Most replies to this question are: "well you are either using the spool or you are not..." which really doesnt answer why this one metal to metal connection is ok. Answers?
The arguement that I've heard is it's connected with a double ended bolt snap so it's unlikely that both ends will be jammed at the same time.

cornfed:
The arguement that I've heard is it's connected with a double ended bolt snap so it's unlikely that both ends will be jammed at the same time.

That is correct for primaries. Plus for spools they are left in a pocket so not that big of a deal if there is a failure of both ends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom