Attaching accesories with bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
Hey Jason,

But I'm not a very experienced caver, and the guys who are may feel differently about it. Lets see if Doppler chimes in here. Steve knows Larry and his stuff, and has way more cave dives than I do...

Doc

Hey Bill: I'm listening!

I should begin this conversation by telling you that I do NOT (well, rarely) attach bolt snaps things like backup lights and goodman handles. I use a loop of wreck line (#36) on these items and carry a couple of spare double dogs to clip 'em off as needed. The rationale behind this as far as the backup lights is that I believe it neither necessary nor prudent to clip backup lights off to shoulder D rings... the bolt snaps get in the way and the light should be held in place by two pieces of bike inner tube. Deploying them then is very swift… nothing to unclip. Similar situation with Goodman handle... I find a bolt snap hanging down all the time gets in the way... I simply have a double dog handy to clip it off at the end of the dive.

Regarding bolt snaps on reels... I replace brass ones with small SS double dogs wherever practical... truth is that with some regular attention and care a good quality bolt snap would likely be as functional and safe... but I like double enders because they allow an extra level of function when stowing a reel... I should add here that when I am carrying several reels -- not spools -- for caving or laying safety / survey lines on wrecks they are stowed on a small prussic loop which is itself attached with a small SS double dog...

Hope this helps.

Would like to add that the LGGear reels that Larry sells feature one of the nicest designs I've seen...

Charlie99:
Yeah, I figured as much. Just wanted confirmation.

My b.s. detector went off when someone posted that that metal-to-metal connections were avoided due to " ...chemical reactions at the point where the two metals connect. This could lead to fusing of the metals, or there could be corrosion of the spg neck, "

Maybe the b.s. detector went of. Galvanic corrosion is a real (and complex) topic. Depending on purity of materials used (and where they sit on the periodic table) this corrosion CAN burn a hole in metals. If for instance you have a clip attached to the neck of the spg, this can cause a serious issue. I personally play it safe and have no metal to metal connections, especially where my gas supply comes from (this includes checking bands regularly).

Meng_Tze:
If for instance you have a clip attached to the neck of the spg, this can cause a serious issue.

This should be somewhere around 100 billion on your gear maintenance concern list. If this happens before your HP hose rots and crumbles to pieces, go spend your life savings on lottery tickets immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom