Atomic Z3 reg vs. Aqualung Legend LUX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a fairly newer diver looking for a really good regulator that will last and need minimal upkeep. I've narrowed it down to these two, but I'm not sure if there's really much of a difference. It seems like people who have Legends swear by them, but so do people with Atomics. The Legend is on sale for roughly $650 and the Z3 is about $530. I don't mind spending more for a superior product so that's not really an issue. The weights are comparable. The Z3 has the swivel. Thoughts?

What kind of water are you diving in? I don't dive atomics because I am in the NE, too much of a pain to get the reg sealed when there are other options. The Z2 is almost identical to the Z3 except for the swivel...might want to look into that as a lower priced option if you are going to get atomics.

I dive all apeks and love them. A dive buddy of mine dives legends and likes his as well.

Where do you live, is service going to be an issue with any of the brands?

I mostly dive in Turks, but I live just outside of Boston although I haven't ever dove there. I'm not sure about service centers for either. Thanks for the info!

The two will breathe the same if equally tuned. Both are great regs. You won't go wrong with either. If you travel dive I'd choose the AL simply because of their vast dealer networks. If cold water diving is in your future I'd also choose the AL as it's a sealed diaphragm reg. Other than that choose the one you like the look of/price etc etc.

The two will breathe the same if equally tuned. Both are great regs. You won't go wrong with either. If you travel dive I'd choose the AL simply because of their vast dealer networks. If cold water diving is in your future I'd also choose the AL as it's a sealed diaphragm reg. Other than that choose the one you like the look of/price etc etc.

I agree with this

I have a Z2 with a swivel and it breathes just as well as my ST1.

Anymore I would not put much stock in dealer networks when one travels. What is serviced by a local shop is probably more important, especially as one should test their regs before a trip and especially after servicing. But otherwise I agree either would be a fine reg. I prefer Atomics and sealing is not really needed unless you are diving sub 50F water (Atomic recommendation) and even then it is more like 40C.

This is a tough choice. Both are great and will performance as good as it get for regulator. Usually I prefer Atomic over many other brands and models. But Aqualung Legend is one that I like a lot too. I think Legend 2nd stage is build a bit better than Atomic 2nd stage. Normally, balanced diaphragm reg will have more IP variation balanced piston, but not in the case of Legend 1st stage. Legend holds IP as steady as the best piston reg.

Depends on how cold of water you will be diving in. In CA, we use piston reg down to low 40s consistently. I have never heard they have issue. I think if you go below 40, then sealed diaphram advantage become more real. Other than that, I would choose based on local service support, which you one look better to you, and which one cost less.

Back
Top Bottom