Atomic Z3 reg vs. Aqualung Legend LUX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anymore I would not put much stock in dealer networks when one travels. What is serviced by a local shop is probably more important, especially as one should test their regs before a trip and especially after servicing. But otherwise I agree either would be a fine reg. I prefer Atomics and sealing is not really needed unless you are diving sub 50F water (Atomic recommendation) and even then it is more like 40C.

I bought an Atomic Z2, my first piston reg, booked a liveaboard in Thailand with some additional day trips. Tested the reg before setting off worked fine. About 5 dives in it began a very high pitched squealing on inhalation it was most distracting. Once back on dry land I spent a day trying to find someone who would service/look at it for me but had no luck. If it was AL or SP it would not have been a problem. It wasn't a catastrophic failure but very annoying nonetheless. I sold them, they were nice regs but offered nothing over the Apeks stable I already owned of which I can service myself. I bought them more out of curiosity than need and that one small issue put me off a little and seeing as not needed thought I'd pass. I guess if I knew how to service Atomic maybe I could have sorted but I had/have no idea as to ease or if any proprietary tools are required, avalability of service kits etc. I'm heavily invested in Apeks and to a lesser degree SP, couldn't/can't afford to invest in another brand.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, but because of this I won't travel with a reg I can't service myself or that doesn't have dealers. I agree with you that local dealer is important.

Back
Top Bottom