Atomic Vs Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a pair of Atomic M1s and I'm quite satisfied.

What is the recommended service interval for Oceanic regs?

My Atomics are every two years. Might well be worth it to someone who figures the total cost of ownership instead of just the up front purchase price.

My local tech dive shop switched from Atomic and Oceanic to Apeks/Aqualung.

Happened right after he was no longer the only Atomic and Oceanic dealer around.

:popcorn:
Agreed both are quality regs.
Annual service like most other Manufacturers but...
Oceanic also has a parts program to help keep costs down.
Good example of a LDS more concerned with not sharing customer base and being able to keep the prices up than the actual product.

Humm... I just read something about "Opinon's." Now where did I see that?:wink:

Just giving the OP what he asked for.
But yours seems to have a strange odor. Maybe that wasn't Kool-Aid you drank.:mooner:

I have an atomic reg and it is one of the easiest breathing regs I have ever put in my mouth! I dont know how it would compare to oceanic but it is a far superior regulator than anything else I have ever used. Since regs are not something I change very frequently it is one piece of gear where I would put some extra bucks to get the quality.

Atomic ST1 and Oceanic EOS are two of the best regulators out there. All things being equal I'd flip a coin. But all things are not equal ... With the Atomic you get two year service intervals and a much higher price, with Oceanic you get the best stand behind your product and take the best care of the customer company that I know. I'd be buying the Oceanic EOS.

I have an Atomic B1 and an Oceanic EOS. There is simply no comparison between the two. The performance of the Atomic blows away the Oceanic. It's not even close. I dive each on alternating weekends. I always know when I have the Atomic in my mouth: Breathing is effortless in ANY position. Oceanic EOS is good but not nearly as good as the B1.

I believe the Oceanic swivel is licensed from Atomic and they licensed it for only one reg which is why they dropped the swivel off the Delta 4 when they came out with the EOS.
I'm not 100% sure of the details on this relationship, but there is some contract between the companies with respect to the swivels.
I, too, am a big fan of Oceanic customer service. Was on a trip to Roatan when a friend's Atom 2 watch flaked out. I emailed Doug Krause via scubaboard and they were willing to shop a new Atom 2 to Roatan overnight to remedy the problem. We got the computer to reset, but Oceanic replaced it when he got back home. Great service from them.

Oceanic is one of the only companies with the equipment to actually do all their own machining in house so it did not surprise me when I heard through the grapevine that Someone told me (I can not verify it) that the Atomics are machined in Oceanic's plant in San Leando.

Although it sounds sexy, there is no significant advantage as to where a product is machined, or molded or assembled, the scuba industry as a whole is totally dependent on the Asian manufacturing process to sustain it and provide products.

There was a time, years ago, when "made in Japan" reeked of poor quality. Today, we woudn't think of buying electronics (including dive computers, instruments, and digital cameras) if they weren't coming in part or in whole from Japan.

That being said, I think the Atomic line is first class, and the customer service is tremendous in our experience. Yes we are an Atomic dealer, but we would not be if they did not stand behind the product and offer the same high level of customer service that we do.

Oceanic makes a fine product line too, but often gets confused between it's premier line and it's low-cost Aeris line with it's product design. We are dealers, and our #1 selling dive computer that wer recommend is that Ai, and you can't get that from Oceanic, only Aeris. Silly, but true.

So in the end, buy the one you like - neither is a loser!

Although it sounds sexy, there is no significant advantage as to where a product is machined, or molded or assembled, the scuba industry as a whole is totally dependent on the Asian manufacturing process to sustain it and provide products.
I think that there is. When I talk to someone at Oceanic I'm talking to the people that are responsible for the entire process, from design on through shipping out the box. No BS, no passing the buck, if it can be done they can, and will, get it done. When I needed a batch of parts for a no longer in production regulator to be waiting from me in Tromso, Norway or São Paulo Brazil, in a week ... guess what our Port Agent had in his hand when he came up the gangway the first time?

I am glad that experience worked out so well for you...although I think you'll agree it is a bit outside the norm with regards to customer service needs.

But it worked, and again, I am glad for you!

Back
Top Bottom