Atomic Vs Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcy, you should have the mods on this board create a section specifically for Atomic Aquatics under the 'Q and A for Scuba Manufacturers' where people could find you more easily and ask more questions about Atomic products & parts. Doug Krause does an excellent job of this for Oceanic.

+1. Atomic Aquatics manufacturer section please. (Also make a diaphragm first stage please.)

For anyone that could tell the difference in breathing between the Atomic and the EOS (assuming they're both in proper working order), that's impressive. I normally dive the ST1 and had a chance to dive the EOS and I have to say, I couldn't tell the difference. Both are phenomenal breathers. Upside down, sideways, angled, it didn't matter. I did however get more bubbles in my face with the EOS than my ST1. What I really like about my ST1 is Atomics use of the stainless steel and titanium (I would've bought the T2, but I like my nitrox and the T2x wasn't a choice). I clean and store my ST1 as best as I can, but it's still kept closed-up (sometimes for months) in a vacation home that sits in a high humidity, high salt environment. And that environment has a nasty way of finding even the smallest dent, scratch, or ding in plated brass to start the corrosion process. So, having a slightly more corrosion resistant material appealed to me and was worth the extra money.

The other reason I like my Atomic is service. I can't speak to Oceanic's service (customer service, warranty, and annual or biennial maintenance), but Atomics is unreal. First, Darcy has the answers. She knows Atomic regs inside and out and can answer any question posed to her. So, I agree with the others, it would be nice to see an Atomic forum. Second, is the quality of the 2yr/300 dive hour maintenance service the factory performs (if you choose to send it back to the factory that is). It's not the cheapest, $62.50/yr compared to the $50/yr my wife pays to have her Scubapro serviced at the LDS. A little more if your reg. is enviro sealed. But what they do to it is ridiculous, in a good way of course. You basically get back a brand new looking reg. Everything from the purge cover to hose strain reliefs are replaced.

All-in-all, I'm not sure you would regret your decision with either reg.

In fact the EOS is in my shortlist! Its between that and the mares abyss 22 extreme

Jim

In fact the EOS is in my shortlist! Its between that and the mares abyss 22 extreme

Jim
Two of the best regulators made. I'd have a hard time choosing, but I think that jingoism would win out ... the EOS is made in the USA.

Second, is the quality of the 2yr/300 dive hour maintenance service the factory performs (if you choose to send it back to the factory that is). It's not the cheapest, $62.50/yr compared to the $50/yr my wife pays to have her Scubapro serviced at the LDS. A little more if your reg. is enviro sealed. But what they do to it is ridiculous, in a good way of course. You basically get back a brand new looking reg. Everything from the purge cover to hose strain reliefs are replaced.

So the factory overhaul is $125.00? How much for a 2nd stage only, or a SS1?

I just want to say that offering a factory overhaul should be the deciding factor in purchasing a new reg for anyone not actually working at a dive shop. It means that the company (Atomics) unlike any other company making scuba gear, will actually be availing themselves of the real world testing done on scuba gear every day, by actual divers. I am assuming that that was what got them to put the castle on the diaphragm retaining ring, for instance. Their own techs got to experience the joy of trying to make the soft purge cover grip the sand locked retaining ring to get it out. And so they updated the design to make it easier to disassemble.

By comparison, other manufaturers put teardown procedures in place when introducing the gear brand new, and teaching the gear tech classes with gear that never gets wet, and never have to deal with the fact that those tear-down procedures just do not work on reasonably worn gear, or sand-jammed threads. Which forces gear techs into grinding their own removal tools, etc etc.

(I still don't get why Atomic does not make a spider tool for the SS1 exhaust valve, though, which also gets sand-jammed. At least use the same pattern as the Air2 so we can use that spider tool without having to hold our breath that we do not rip out the spiders with a needle nose.)

And as a side benefit, factory overhaul means that maybe, just maybe, some stolen gear will find its way home.

(I bought my mk15/g250 twice. Once direct from SP, once from a local dive shop that sold my stolen reg back to me.)

Last edited:
So the factory overhaul is $125.00? How much for a 2nd stage only, or a SS1?
Labor (cost is the same for a 1st, 2nd, or SS1)= $37.50USD
Service Kits (cost is the same for a 1st, 2nd, or SS1)= $25.00USD
Environmental Sealing of 1st stage (or re-sealing after service)= $40.00USD (includes labor & ChristoLube)

*This was for a ST1 and SS1. Does it make a difference? I don't know, maybe.

Two of the best regulators made. I'd have a hard time choosing, but I think that jingoism would win out ... the EOS is made in the USA.

Atomic's regs are made in the USA.

:usa:

Atomic's regs are made in the USA.

:usa:

What I was responding to was:
Originally Posted by jim_king559

Jim
That was MARES vs Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom