Atomic users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so ridiculous, of course Atomic will work fine. They work fine for professionals and for a typical recreational diver who does 10-20 outings a year, just about ANY regulator will be fine.

You should spend more time researching dishwashers, before you buy one - you will use it a hell of a lot more.
It is a life saving piece of equipment not ordinary household electrical appliance!

This is so ridiculous, of course Atomic will work fine. They work fine for professionals and for a typical recreational diver who does 10-20 outings a year, just about ANY regulator will be fine.

You should spend more time researching dishwashers, before you buy one - you will use it a hell of a lot more.
A low quality dishwasher won’t kill me

DAN has pretty good info on piston vs diaphragm but which you go with won’t influence safety.
Of course not.
Diaphragm, piston, sealed/non sealed etc etc.
All rental equipment that I used occasionally are all at the lower end of the spectrum.

I am getting into the sport and I like having my own equipment. I can configure it to my liking and that helps with memory and habit.
I have been extensively reading about regulators and have decided on Atomic. ( was a toss up between then and ScubaPro)
I live in Pa. and most of my diving will be in the mid Atlantic and if I am lucky one trip per year to the Caribbean. I don’t see myself diving in freezing water.
So majority will be lake, quarry, and Atlantic Ocean.

model?

thanks for your insight
Put this in the category of personal testimony rather that expert opinion. I bought titanium Atomic and Scubapro rigs about 20 years ago and am still using them. Probably the only things that saved both of them from bad service at local dive shops was that they were titanium. I bought them second hand, but essentially unused (owner died one dive trip after his purchase through an insurance settlement). For several years, I would have the Atomic serviced by sending it to the factory. That was a bit more expensive, but I felt I was getting the best service available. Then Huish bought Atomic and that was the end of their support for old gear, particularly gear not bought through their sales channels. I could not even get them to return my emails and phone calls.

Frankly, down to 100-110 feet, I don't find either the Atomic or the Scubapro breathes any better than the unbalanced Aqualungs I bought for my son,duaghter and granddaughter.

A word of caution on the Atomic, you are going to have to keep an eye on that second stage and keep it out of the water when unpressurized. That means not leaving it for someone else to clean up after your dives. It also should be properly sealed, and I have no idea how you guarantee that.

Meanwhile, my wife uses the Scubapro. I have had it serviced every couple of years (vacation diving 3 times a year). It also suffered from improper servicing a couple of times, but it works well, she says. That may not be a valid endorsement, however. She apparently only takes 8 or 10 breaths a dive (a guess based on her air consumption).

Atomics do build up salt on the piston o-ring, as do all piston regs. In a world where there are so many good sealed diaphragm first stages, i just can't see the use of piston firsts. And by the way, I own 3 Atomic B's and several Scubapro 25's, and they are all service intensive compared to my diaphragm firsts. 4 of the 5 were given to me, that's the only reason i have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom