Atom 2.0 vs VT3 vs OC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simmonsjr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting back into diving and looking into getting a wireless, air-integrated computer. I like the Oceanic ones (Atom 2.0, VT3, OC1) but I was wondering what the difference between them was. As far as I can tell the Atom and the OC1 can double as wristwatches and the OC1 includes a digital compass. Does anybody have experience with these three models? Also would it be worthwhile (in terms of expense and time) to wait for the OC1 to hit the market? Thanks.

Hi simmonsjr,

I like a lot of others own the VT3. The OC1 looks lovely! Very similar in looks to the Suunto Stinger.... and i'm sure that it will be a great addition to any ones dive bag.
What and where is the OC1?

I suppose that the major difference between the different models is the size if the screen/watch itself. The Atom and OC1 are both wrist watch and have the smaller faces. While the VT3 is obviously not designed to be worn as an everyday watch due to it's size. But then with a big screen like the VT3 has is incredibly easy to read under the water.

On the whole digital compass thing... check this thread out "Merits of a digital compass"

Other threads that you can look at:
Choosing between Oceanic VT3 and Atom 2.0
Digital Compasses
Wrist mounted digital compass?
Anything wrong with having a built-in compass in a dive comp?

At the end of the day it's a personal choice in terms of styling. The more features that a DC has the more it costs.... So it's important to decide what features are important to you.

As I said above, I have the VT3 with wireless transmitter and it has performed flawlessly straight out the box. I love it! Haven't had any troubles with syncing what-so-ever and more importantly i don't regret buying it.

I have the Atom 2.0 and hubby has the VT3- Definite size difference! You also have to push a few more buttons on the 2.0 for some functions, and the screen is smaller, thus the readout is smaller. I'm a small woman, so the 2.0 is still the size of my arm and the VT3 would be on the smallest notch over a wet suit. The VT3 does not tell time, so it is handy for us to have the time (at least someone does when you need to know).

Your best bet is to look at them if you can, and decide from there!

I suppose that the major difference between the different models is the size if the screen/watch itself.
That's probably the most significant difference. It determines the amount of info that can be displayed on the main dive screen at once (the VT3 displays the most) and the readability. I dive both a VT3 and a GEO (basically a Atom without AI) as my back-up and both are easy to use, but the VT3 doesn't require as much button pushing to get the same amount of info. The only other major difference is that compass. Since I've never used an Oceanic digital compass, I really don't know how well it does or doesn't operate. Here's a PDF from Oceanic that compares their computers Oceanic Comparison Chart.

The VT3 does not tell time, so it is handy for us to have the time (at least someone does when you need to know).

Your best bet is to look at them if you can, and decide from there!
I hope I'm not getting the hubby in trouble here, but the VT3 gives you the time both above and below the water. Just press the top right button and the VT3 will display day of the week, temp., and time.

It is unfortunate that Oceanic does not include the data cable with their ATOM 2.0 PDC, even though they supply a software CD and the manual is written as if you have the USB cable they did not supply. I opted to not purchase the Oceanic ATOM 2.0 or the GEO PDC, since they would have wanted an additional 100.00 for the data cable. I saw no point in purchasing a PDC, if it does not include the cable that allows you to connect it to a personal computer, even with it selling between $600 and $700.

Look before you purchase, to assure that you do not marginalize the value and usefulness of the ATOM PDC, by not getting a data cable with it. I opted not to purchase since I could not justify another $100 for a data cable that cost far less than that to make!

I hope I'm not getting the hubby in trouble here, but the VT3 gives you the time both above and below the water. Just press the top right button and the VT3 will display day of the week, temp., and time.

LOL! I'll have to tell him that next dive. It must have been laziness then.:D

It is unfortunate that Oceanic does not include the data cable with their ATOM 2.0 PDC, even though they supply a software CD and the manual is written as if you have the USB cable they did not supply. I opted to not purchase the Oceanic ATOM 2.0 or the GEO PDC, since they would have wanted an additional 100.00 for the data cable. I saw no point in purchasing a PDC, if it does not include the cable that allows you to connect it to a personal computer, even with it selling between $600 and $700.

Look before you purchase, to assure that you do not marginalize the value and usefulness of the ATOM PDC, by not getting a data cable with it. I opted not to purchase since I could not justify another $100 for a data cable that cost far less than that to make!

My Atom 2.0 came with the transmitter and USB data cable....

I'll be using my Atom 2.0 for the first time next month. One general thought as we did some pool dives recently is this:

Since the transmitter on the reg looks very similar to the knob on the tank, has anyone had any issues with grabbing the "wrong" black knob, whether it be themselves or dive crew?

Just curious...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom