Assembling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I don't get. The way they fit in there, once the rig is donned, they're trapped in there (the channel of the V of the back plate against your back).

Do they really come loose? I use the Delrin nuts on all 3 sets of my doubles. Only put them on a little past snug. Never so tight that wet fingers would not be able to turn them to loosen them. When I have disassembled my rig after a dive, none of them have ever been loose.

Yeah they can come loose. The nice thing about wing nuts is you can cinch them down very snug and tight and it's easy to get them loose because you have a decent enough amount of leverage on the, err, wing.

Yeah they can come loose. The nice thing about wing nuts is you can cinch them down very snug and tight and it's easy to get them loose because you have a decent enough amount of leverage on the, err, wing.

Wing nuts tend to be a very loose "free running", (meaning you could spin one and it will keep turning) type tolerance and as such if they do start to get loose it's not uncommon for them to continue to back off. The initial "play" in the connection contributes to ever more play. This one reason why wing nuts are often fit with flat and lock washers.

Delrin nuts OTOH can be quite snug. We use a H1 tap to cut the threads in the DSS delrin Thumb wheels. (Taps are sold in various amounts of clearance, meaning how much larger the female threads are than the male threads. H1 is pretty snug, H2 would provide more, H3 more etc.

Because delrin has a low coefficient of friction (acetal is frequently used for bearings) and is a bit compliant snug threads on a delrin nut can still be easily installed even on imperfect threads, but the thumbwheel will not be "free running" That helps keep it from backing off if a bit of play develops in the connection.

All nuts if over tightened can be split, the threads are after all a type of wedge. The only DSS delrin nuts I know of that cracked were tightened using tools, not bare hands. There is simply no need to do so, but diver used to having stainless wing nuts come loose do odd things some times.

Tobin

That's what I don't get. The way they fit in there, once the rig is donned, they're trapped in there (the channel of the V of the back plate against your back).

Do they really come loose? I use the Delrin nuts on all 3 sets of my doubles. Only put them on a little past snug. Never so tight that wet fingers would not be able to turn them to loosen them. When I have disassembled my rig after a dive, none of them have ever been loose.
Back plates can flex, divers can mess up and not tighten them fully. I got distracted once and only tightened the bottom one, the top one wasn't there 2 hours later at the end of the dive. I'm kinda anal about that stuff now.

Yeah, I get it on the wing nuts. I just didn't think having the Delrin nuts come loose was something that would ever happen - assuming I didn't leave them loose in the first place. I don't like wing nuts because I don't like having to worry about keeping up with a washer or two when I'm changing tanks. Not that big a deal, of course. I will definitely keep a closer eye on my Delrin nuts and switch back to wing nuts if I ever see any sign that they started to get loose during a dive.

Yeah, I get it on the wing nuts. I just didn't think having the Delrin nuts come loose was something that would ever happen - assuming I didn't leave them loose in the first place. I don't like wing nuts because I don't like having to worry about keeping up with a washer or two when I'm changing tanks. Not that big a deal, of course. I will definitely keep a closer eye on my Delrin nuts and switch back to wing nuts if I ever see any sign that they started to get loose during a dive.

You don't really need the washer. And even if you decide you do, you can buy a box of 50 replacement ones for $1.39 at Lowes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom