Assembling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use lock washers if I have them laying around but if I don't have them I don't really care. I think they're most useful on single tank rigs that aren't assembled/ disassembled frequently.

All the gimmicks olutions in search of a problem.

If your delrin nut strips out, just keep a wing nut and washer in your oring kit.

But all the nuts that don't break are a PITA to actually use.

The trick with the plastic nuts is just to turn them counter clockwise until they click, that's the nut finding the start of the threads, then start cranking it down. If you randomly just slam them on and start tightening, they can grab the threads wrong.

the only time I use washers is on a BP that has a lower slot, especially if an Ali plate since the edges of the slot need some support. They can also fill up threads on a slightly too long bolt but otherwise they are pretty useless.

Delrin nuts will eventually crack so they are worse than wing nuts IMO as they break as you stand up on the boat to splash on a big dive or some other crappy time. I have had actual band nuts gall, but never galled a SS wing nut. Usually the threads on wing nuts are cut pretty loose and its not like they get hot hand spinning them on.

But all the nuts that don't break are a PITA to actually use.

The trick with the plastic nuts is just to turn them counter clockwise until they click, that's the nut finding the start of the threads, then start cranking it down. If you randomly just slam them on and start tightening, they can grab the threads wrong.
Of all the things in scuba I've never considered wing nuts to be a pita.

I don't understand why the Delrin (or other) nuts need to be put on so tight that wet fingers become problematic with the knurling.

You'll probably understand once (if) you have a nut come loose while you're diving. :wink:

That's what I don't get. The way they fit in there, once the rig is donned, they're trapped in there (the channel of the V of the back plate against your back).

Do they really come loose? I use the Delrin nuts on all 3 sets of my doubles. Only put them on a little past snug. Never so tight that wet fingers would not be able to turn them to loosen them. When I have disassembled my rig after a dive, none of them have ever been loose.

You'll probably understand once (if) you have a nut come loose while you're diving. :wink:

Usually, the only loose nut I have to worry about is the one on the keyboard on my desk. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom