Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
so..what does "dismissed *with prejudice*" mean? I received papers from court on a ticket my daughter apparently received. It appears she submitted a written statement, or something.

It is my understanding that dismissed with prejudice means that was settled on the merits of the case and is done. It still can be taken to an appeal (which won't happen with a simple traffic tag).
Sometimes they will dismiss them without prejudice and tell the defendant that it will stay dismissed as long as they stay out of trouble for X amount of time, otherwise they will reopen it and charge them.

I'm sorry Catherine, we don't watch kids closer than adults....Nine times out of ten, when I clocked someone, I couldn't tell if the were 16 or 50 until I pulled them over.

With the popularity of applying limo-black tint to all the windows, often we don't know who we've pulled over until they roll the window down.

That's despite the fact that in my state (CA) it's illegal to apply any sort of tint to the front windows, other than what came from the factory.

catherine96821:
pass a new law, take one off the books, please, that is my hope. there comes a point when it all sounds like a good idea, but then enforcement problems dilute the really important laws (imo)

Very good point catherine. Many laws that are passed without taking into acccount the practicality of its enforcement.

Ive got a question... do you ever patrol the neighboorhoods anymore? Seems like the only thing cops do around here is do write speeding tickets.

I just moved from a town that had TWO cops. Neither of which EVER wrote out traffic tickets. You called them, and within minutes they were there.... Call around here and goodluck...

Makes me sick. My tax dollars are going towards funding a police force whos whole purpose is to try and catch me speeding, so they can make more money. Crooked system in this town.

catherine96821:
But those old folks...you don't want them driving any faster. They know how fast they are capable of I guess.
Let me assure you, both my grandfather and his brother drive MORE than fast enought for people whos starting to get bad vision and hearing. Infact my grandfather probably wont get his license renewed many more times (senior citizens need to have it renewed every 2nd year here, or was it even annually). I would preferr not to be a passenger in either one of their cars anyways. If my grandfather want me to help him do whatever that involve driving, guess who voulenteers to drive (hint: not my grandfather)...

Let me assure you, both my grandfather and his brother drive MORE than fast enought for people whos starting to get bad vision and hearing

lol..yea, we will all be there someday. I'd like to have the option to drive a little slower than give up driving.

I'm sorry Catherine, we don't watch kids closer than adults....

oh. Well, then she is driving too aggressively based on the probabilty of being pulled three times in one year, I'd say.

Fish Food:
Ive got a question... do you ever patrol the neighboorhoods anymore? Seems like the only thing cops do around here is do write speeding tickets.

I just moved from a town that had TWO cops. Neither of which EVER wrote out traffic tickets. You called them, and within minutes they were there.... Call around here and goodluck...

Makes me sick. My tax dollars are going towards funding a police force whos whole purpose is to try and catch me speeding, so they can make more money. Crooked system in this town.

I can't speak for your police agency, but I can tell you how things work by me.

Traffic enforcement is part of our job. In my city, we have a number of high traffic roadways (state highways, major roadways, etc) with large amounts of accidents. This, however, doesn't detract from our response time when we get calls for service. In fact, most citizens are always surprised at how fast we respond to their calls. I can't think of any time that a traffic assignment was a higher priority than taking calls.

Also, instead of thinking of your tax dollars funding a police force trying to catch YOU speeding...think of it as a police force trying to keep YOU safe! Oh, and all that money that is generated from tickets? Well, it doesn't go to the police...the city gets what's left of it (ticket minus court fees, jail fees, training fees: all state controlled), and the CITY can do with it whatever it wants.

Last time I checked, there wasn't a commission on tickets, so I'm not sure how I benefit.... :wink:

A Dismissal with Prejudice means that the claim may never be asserted against the other party again.

A Dismissal without Prejudice means that the claim may be reasserted against the other party in the future.

Mind if I get in on this?

I served in the Army with the military police for 5 years, I worked adult and juvenile corrections for a very short time. I worked with University of Maryland Police for 2 years. Currently I am with a city PD and have been for the last year. I work in patrol and assigned to the Honor Guard. I am scheduled to take police bicycle school starting tomarrow, and attend swat school in Oct.

Back
Top Bottom