Body of mystery diver found tied to a post with his throat slit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If this is a SCUBA accident, there could be relevance for solo divers in the area. There are photos online; the guys hands are free, it is only his "backpack" tied to post at waterline, and the throat injury is a gash, more than a slit. If the aforementioned line turned out to be his SMB cord, this is looking like he got run over and dragged back to dock.
As far as I have read no scuba equipment has been found.

Pattaya is pretty popular destination known for it's drugging and robbing of tourists. Especially tourists who wear nice jewelry and flash money. The throat slitting is odd though. That usually indicates a personal grudge against the victim.
My guess is a drug mule that backed out on the deal after his sponsor already paid for the nice hotel room, airfare, and vacation.

Drugged and mugged in Pattaya

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely we will ever know what happened.
Here is a bit of a follow up link from one of the Pattaya toy town news sites (please dont attach too much credibility) which does mention diving suit and equipment. Pattaya police need help identifying dead diver - PattayaOne
Mysterious deaths of foreigners around Pattaya happen at an alarming rate, and are usually swept under the carpet by the Keystone Cops to avoid any adverse publicity that could affect tourism. Highly likely it will just be listed as yet another unexplained suicide.

I doubt he was murdered because the news story said his aorta was not cut and they don't think he bled out, plus murderers aren't going to the trouble of following you into the ocean. Not suicide either: anybody with expensive scuba equipment would not commit suicide in it, he'd give it to his best friend, THEN commit suicide. I still think he got dragged by a jet skier hot-dogging around his SMB/ diver flag, drowned, and his throat could have been cut by the thin line of the SMB. The guy who found him was a jetskier "warning swimmers off the rocks". Who does that? A sign on the beach is how you warn people, not dashing around on the waves where people are already swimming. So that is my speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom