Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the obstructing traffic issue, I have issued that one once. But it was for a car that was stopped in the middle of an interesection. I do use it as my PC for numereous stops however. Since most drunks have a hard time holding the speedlimit, often going well under it, I will use it to make a stop a lot of times. I of course use some common sense, the middle of the day on a tuesday with a senior citizen driving, not going to stop. Fri or Sat night, you can bet almost every car I see thats going less than 5 under is going to at least get stoped.

WaterWayne:
Here's a q?: Speaking of the pre-hire screening, is there a specific, formal term for the wanna-be-too-badly type? I'm thinking of the personality type who's too anxious for the authority; cowboy; can't wait to wear the gun and the badge. And how are those screened out? Fortunately, there aren't too many of those who are accepted into the forces, but the ones who do make it are the ones who will later make headlines of the worst sort.

We usually catch them during the psych test and interview phase. I know I had one canidate, who had a good application and experiance make a comment to me that he couldnt wait to get hired so he could carry a concealed weapon where ever he wanted. Needless to say that was immediatly reported to the hiring board and he was not picked up.

RonDawg:
In California, one of my favorite sections to cite for is CVC 27007, which states you can be cited if your sound system can be heard from as little as 50 feet away from the vehicle.

We have a similiar law, its one of my favorite to use as PC for a stop. Ours is a little more vaque, saying just excesive noise, but I've always used the 50' rule. My last military unit wanted me to start issueing tickets if I could hear the stereo outside the car at all. I walked over to my jeep, that had no top, and turned the stereo on its lowest setting, and asked if they wished to issue me a ticket now.

RonDawg comments on my comment about impeding traffic. He says: “I only cite for this section when I can clearly articulate the notion of ‘impeding’ to a judge, such as 35 MPH on a posted 65 MPH freeway (with traffic going above that) or something like 10 MPH in a posted 35 MPH zone. Another reason I would use it is for someone who is FULLY stopped in a traffic lane for reasons not related to safe operation or to comply with the law, which is actually the more common reason for me to issue such a cite.” That is absolutely perfect.

I also consider impeding to include being asleep at the proverbial switch, delaying unreasonably before proceeding. Examples would be what I call “waiting for a stop sign to turn green;” or waiting so long before proceeding after a signal turns green that only one or two cars can get through the intersection. This latter is particularly apropos when left turns are controlled by an arrow. It is not unusual to have 4 to 6 second arrows. Someone who waits for two or three of these before proceeding and then does so at 5 mph impedes everyone else. I also have issues with drivers whose driving prevents drivers traveling in the opposite direction from being able to make left turns across their lane. (For example Driver A wants to turn left across a busy street. There is finally a break in traffic through which A can turn. However, Driver B, turns onto the street and fills in the break and then is so slow that A can’t turn. I’ve frequently seen it happen.)

I’ve also got a big issue with drivers who while waiting to make a left turn, don’t pull far enough into the intersection. Thus, when the light changes from green to yellow to red, only that driver is able to turn. Of course, if the driver had pulled fully into the intersection, two or three cars could have made the turn. In the absence of other reasons for not pulling all the way into the intersection, that is impeding traffic.

I agree that excessive speed is a primary factor in most accidents. I also agree that one should NEVER drive above that speed that would allow him/her to safely react to any roadway hazards.

And, I agree that “if someone's slow driving is bringing out the aggression of another driver, or causes that other driver to drive in a reckless manner, it's the OTHER driver who needs an attitude adjustment.” (Traffic school may help.) Nonetheless, doing something, even if negligently, to bring out someone else’s aggression requires some retraining. (Again, traffic school may help.) Its sort of like panic underwater (a different thread) – additional training is in order.

All, in all, RonDawg, you are right on the money in everything you’ve said. And, you write well. Of course, now that I’ve discussed the issue with you and have read your well founded views on other posts, I won’t be able to sit on any of your cases… so lets get together and dive instead!

peaceful:
So i will toss a question now in the mix; if someone had a new Porsche 997 and decides for some reason to speed about 90 mph over the speed limt on the highway would you get a ticket or hauled off to jail? And you happened to live in FL...

if you don't kill yourself first.

In Washington, it is unlawful to enter the intersection on a green light until it is safe to proceed through the intersection. The way I interpret this law is: It is unlawful to pull into the intersection and wait to make a left turn, because of oncoming traffic.

Bill B.

Pulling into the intersection for a left with oncoming traffic does not make it unsafe. Turning with oncoming traffic does. If you wait for the light to change, i.e. no more oncoming traffic, then, you will be entering it on yellow or red. Bad.

ItsBruce:
Another 2 cents: what I'm seeing on this thread are some very good law enforcement officers who I'd be proud to call friends.
Thanks, it's nice to hear things like that. It's not very often that we're appreciated...usually people hate us all the time, except when they need us.

As far as some of the other topics: In Wisconsin we don't have a cell phone law, but we do have the "distracted driving" law. That is usally written at accidents when the driver was busy talking on the phone, screwing around with the radio, eating their McBurger, etc.

Entering intersections on a green is allowed, and the law allows vehicles that were already legally in the intersection the right of way to exit the intersection, even if the other lights have changed. Remember, you can be cited for entering on a green if you didn't check to make sure it was clear, and that no other traffic had the right of way.

The cowboys: Well, we've arrested quite a few "police impersonators". It's usually an 18-21 year old that is driving a crown vic. One of our most recent arrests for this: He boxed in a vehicle he thought was driving erratic. The other vehicle couldn't leave, and dialed 911...they were freaking out. When we got there, our "helpful citizen" was arrested for impersonating an officer, since he was wearing a black t-shirt that had "POLICE" written on it, dark blue BDU's tucked into his boots (ha!) and a search of his truck found a red light, duty belt, handcuffs, and a toy gun that was spray painted black. What the crap is wrong with these people????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom