Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJcop:
Wow, the bottom really fell out of this thread! Any more ????'s out there for us?
Well, since you insist.

I wiil be visiting Florida this summer and was wondering whether I should get an international driving licence or not? After all, it's just a translation.

My personal feelings are: Don't bother. Just carry your passport. I've actually come across an Int'l DL, and it didn't do me any good. I can't really do any checks on them, so as long as you have some ID, I would say you should be OK.

Have fun in Florida!

have any of you had bribery offered? i'm thinking about stuff like in the stop in 'fargo', though any other situations or whatever would also be interesting.

and i'd like to make it clear i'm not accusing anyone of accepting, just curious about offers.

If you are trying to do a traffic stop at night, and the driver is a woman, do you give her a hard time if she continues to a well lit parking lot before stopping?

BabyDuck:
have any of you had bribery offered? i'm thinking about stuff like in the stop in 'fargo', though any other situations or whatever would also be interesting.

and i'd like to make it clear i'm not accusing anyone of accepting, just curious about offers.
While nobody has come straight out and said "I'll pay you $$$ if you let me go", I have had 2 incidents that come to mind. The first was a truck driver that asked me for directions...he was REALLY lost. I told him how to get where he was going and as I drove off, he threw a $10 bill into my squad. I tried to give it back and he wouldn't take it and told me to buy some lunch with it. I took the money to my supervisor and we placed it into evidence, to be disbursed to the city.
The other time was when I stopped a red Camaro for speeding. The driver was a waitress from Hooters, still in her uniform. She did the seductive look thing, then started to juggle he breasts for me! She thought she had gotten off the ticket, but when I advised her to sit tight while I cite her, she immediately zipped up her jacket and crossed her arms. Classic!

underwaterangel:
If you are trying to do a traffic stop at night, and the driver is a woman, do you give her a hard time if she continues to a well lit parking lot before stopping?
Fortunately, I work in a large city, so there are plenty of "well lit parking lots" to pull into, so it's not a problem to me. I can see it being an issue with officers that work in rural areas, where the next lot may be a mile up the road.

That's mainly a rhetorical question, 'cause I guess you can't measure that low...When I first read the story below, I thought that this local police force isn't very bright, using the same undercover officer over and over. But then I considered that they're still ahead of the local drug dealers, who are dim bulbs indeed:

"In New Braunfels, Texas, in November, Robert Villarreal, 34, was sentenced to 50 years in prison after he sold drugs to the same undercover officer for the third time in a 14-year period. He had actually argued "entrapment," claiming that for the first sale, in 1988, he was so young that he shouldn't be expected to remember later what the officer looked like. [New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, 11-3-05]"

But Mr. Villareal is still above the following guys in the food chain, which puts them somewhere below an average bag of cement. Make sure you read all the way through the very last sentence, too:

"A 17-year-old and a 16-year-old were turned over to juvenile authorities after they were caught running from an ambulance that had been stolen...The ambulance's crew was inside a home tending to a patient in a non-emergency case...Officials used a global positioning device to track the ambulance, which was spotted about 18 miles away in Grapevine (TX).

"The two teenagers tried to run, but they didn't get very far, police said. "One couldn't run very well because his pants were too low," Sgt. Todd Dearing said. "He was having to hold his pants up with one hand."

"...held on a charge of theft between $100,000 and $200,000, a second-degree felony, and evading arrest, a state jail felony...

"Dearing said he didn't know why the ambulance was taken. He said one teen told police he was having a hard time finding the home of relatives in Grapevine."

just found this thread, not sure if this has been covered, but i read about 200 posts on here and didn't see it...

i'm wondering how far is reasonable to drive to find a good spot to pull over without pissing off the cop pulling you over? last time i got a ticket (2001 or so, 78 in a 70 zone) he pulled behind me in a section that had concrete on both sides and no good shoulders, followed by an on-ramp on the right side, but with a wide shoulder. i hit the right turn signal and drove about 1/4 mile to just past the end of the onramp where it was all clear. it was nighttime and a little drizzly.

And what attracts your attention to people to pull over for speeding? Generally I try to keep it 8 over or less, and try to not speed relative to other traffic, not make unsafe lane changes, not to accellerate too rapidly and I've pretty successfully avoided attracting attention to myself.

Also, as far as the discussion about going too slow being dangerous aways back in this thread -- what I don't like is when people merge at 40mph into traffic doing 70mph. When you get stuck trying to merge behind someone doing that it can get fairly hairy as you're trying not to rear end them, and not get rear ended when you merge...

Back
Top Bottom