Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
LMAO!! What is the "meow thing"?

Rent the movie "Super Troopers".

The cops play jokes on people when they pull people over.

cop:
Can I see meow your licence and registration meow.

do you know meow how fast you were meow driving?

stuff like that. It's really funny in the movie.

One of the other things they do is have the 2nd officer repeat
what the first one said when the pull someone over.

rent the movie, you'll like it.

edit:
just found this... ironically someone was bored enough to put
the quotes from the meow part on the internet
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1849/quotes

dherbman:
They have also seen every game there is on the radar/laser defense. I guess it can't hurt to try, but they've pretty well coverd every angle.

There was a judge who used to work traffic (he's since been promoted to criminal matters) that made himself familiar with nearly every traffic defense tactic you could find in books or on the internet.

If he saw you trying them, but incorrectly, he would let you know that he already knows what you are trying, and how you're screwing it up! If the tactic wasn't relevant to the case (i.e. trying to use radar defense tactics when radar wasn't used at all), he simply wouldn't allow it.

BTW this was the same judge who used to look up the defendant's driving record, and provide a 30 day suspension if he thought the defendant's driving left much to be desired.

Only about 1 speeding ticket in the last 20 years, but used to get them now & then when I was younger. No complaints, I was about 10 over, paid my fine & didn't whine about it. (although one particular stretch of road, think I got nailed 3 times for 35 in a 25....later the limit was CHANGED to 35...so I guess I was right after all, ha ha.)

Anyhow, was wondering if "out of state" plates got treated differently, in general. In Iowa, "5 over" was always considered "safe" but we were always warned when on a trip into Wisconsin to keep right at the speed limit, as the police were less likely to allow you a few miles over the limit on cars with Iowa plates. Don't know if there's any validity to it....DO know that I never got a speeding ticket out of state, though! :)

(Now living in Guam, with our "official" maximum speed limit of 45mph, it takes me a while to get up to speed every Fall when I go back to Iowa to visit family...look like one of them granny drivers crawling along with the turn signal constantly flashing!)

Iruka:
In Iowa, "5 over" was always considered "safe" but we were always warned when on a trip into Wisconsin to keep right at the speed limit, as the police were less likely to allow you a few miles over the limit on cars with Iowa plates. Don't know if there's any validity to it....
Well, since I'm an officer in Wisconsin, let me fill you in on this.

First off, watch out for our state troopers...they would write their mothers tickets! If i'm stopped by a trooper, I'm pretty much guaranteed a ticket...no "professional courtesy" there (part of the reason city officers hate troopers so much).

Now, regarding out of state plates....If don't target out of state people, in fact I avoid them. It's a pain in the butt, and they usually do something that is perfectly legal in their state, but not legal here (u-turns at traffic lights is a big one). If I do happen to pull an out of towner over, and I cite them, I can either send them on the way like everyone else, or I can make them post bond at the station. I've only done that twice. I have them post if they have absolutely no ties to the area IE: at the local hotel for a convention.

I was walking out of a "stop & rob" and met a woman walking in. The woman asked me to tell her kids if they didn't wear their seatbelts I would take them to jail. She then headed into the store.

I went to my car and grabbed a stack of seatbelt stickers. I asked the kids if they always wear their seatbelts. They said they did. I told them how great it was to wear their seatbelt, then gave them the stickers. I told them to put the stickers everywhere they wanted. On the dash, windshield, where ever they would stick. Then I left.

Bill B.

Iruka:
Anyhow, was wondering if "out of state" plates got treated differently, in general. In Iowa, "5 over" was always considered "safe" but we were always warned when on a trip into Wisconsin to keep right at the speed limit, as the police were less likely to allow you a few miles over the limit on cars with Iowa plates. Don't know if there's any validity to it....DO know that I never got a speeding ticket out of state, though! :)

If you have California plates, don't even think about speeding in Nevada.

TJcop, thanks for the answer. Actually, there's more reason to speed through most of Iowa...get through those cornfields quicker, ha ha. Wisconsin, especially along the Mississippi, (the area where I'm from--Dubuque) is a lot more scenic & easier to slow down & enjoy the ride.

Back
Top Bottom