Arkansas Bend Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mat you have a truck? With a hitch? And an annual parks permit?

I know it's a long shot ... but I gotta ask.

Currently my truck with hitch is parked in garage, an '85 4runner awaiting me to get around to overhauling engine. This years annual is on my work van, which works for hauling gear to lake, but not quite as fun as the 4runner for a day at the lake.

Yeah, I just reread original post and following, and realized I never said Lake Travis anywhere. I had meant to make the park name a link to the park webpage, but obviously never got around to that:shakehead:

Just me looking for a little more diversity in local dive locations. Lake Travis is 65 miles long, I have dove it off a boat since 77, but now have no regular access to a boat, so am exploring shore diving options beyond Mansfield and Windy Point. LTS's Giant Stride is a great option, but not in my budget every weekend.

This location is nice in that you can drive right up to water to gear up and enter, something I used to do at all Travis parks back in the day and that my lazy butt appreciates. I hate trudging up and down stairs in full gear, and with Travis lake levels dropping slowly but steadily that walk is getting further. It is a little further from me than WP or Mansfield, and is much more primitive park, no improved bathrooms just porta potties. But it has some nice campsites, a boat ramp, shoreline access and is still free day use with my annual parks permit plus distance and lack of improved facilities usually keep it from getting too crowded.

I guess we'll see what the diving is like tomorrow. If LM reminds me to take some pictures tomorrow I will post up some pics of park and dive. Got to run out and pick up tank and couple other items and then load up for tomorrow.

Ummm take pictures... heehee I think ya got a few but I didnt remind ya. :D

... and post 'em. Inquiring minds need to know :D

I got more pics above water than below. I don't think vis was quite as nice as when I snorkeled out there last time, but was divable, no issues with losing LM in the murk. I think the viz was better in the cove than out towards channel. We will have to see what comes out of the underwater pics.

... and post 'em. Inquiring minds need to know :D

I'm getting around to it, just got gear rinsed off and is hanging drying at moment, camera is still in case, hanging next to my sapience, both waiting to finish drip/air drying while I slam some chow and a beer down throat before heading up to DW to return/refill tanks. I'll bring 'em in and download them while some real dinner cooks a bit later.

Hey LM, don't forget to put the ear beer in yours and Leah's (sp?) ears, avoid those ear infections. Just did rockets and mine, rocket hates it but figures is price he has to pay for his day at the lake :D

I got more pics above water than below. I don't think vis was quite as nice as when I snorkeled out there last time, but was divable, no issues with losing LM in the murk. I think the viz was better in the cove than out towards channel. We will have to see what comes out of the underwater pics.

I'm getting around to it, just got gear rinsed off and is hanging drying at moment, camera is still in case, hanging next to my sapience, both waiting to finish drip/air drying while I slam some chow and a beer down throat before heading up to DW to return/refill tanks. I'll bring 'em in and download them while some real dinner cooks a bit later.

Hey LM, don't forget to put the ear beer in yours and Leah's (sp?) ears, avoid those ear infections. Just did rockets and mine, rocket hates it but figures is price he has to pay for his day at the lake :D

Were still dealing with the sunburn but thanks for reminding me, I gotta make some...oh and its Leia, just like star wars :D Shes in love with the dogs and wants to know where to next

All in all, it was a fun dive day. Leia and I both got a bit too much sun, but hopefully a little aloe will make things alright. Rocket is resting, and I have gear washed, dried and stowed, I need a shower still, but that will wait 'til I finish this beer and this post.

Pic of dive location as I arrived at site, looking across cove...
2046919580090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

looking down toward back of cove...
2953891230090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

pic of fishing lure, about 25' down into cove...
2058961280090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

random rocks in the murk...
2679399780090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

random rocks and juvy stripers???
2261931290090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

more rocks and fish...
2622837760090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

once again...
2486444130090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

2041364940090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

my dive buddy...
2498167670090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

bobber wrapped up on a stump...
2184891580090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

roof from a boat or a dock...
2298612230090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

later on the lake shore... more boats, more dogs, and Leia...
2360245720090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

Merlin(foreground) Leia(center) & Rocket (splashing speck in back)...
2330595180090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

view of site from water (and Merlin, the ham)...
2759426990090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

as we were finishing up, another group pulled up in an inflatable and put up a dive flag. Looked to me like they were only snorkeling, but we left before they did...
2823553070090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

Not a bad day to be out diving, if I was camping there I'd bring my gear in hopes of better vis, not sure about the extra 20 miles just to dive it.

At end we were hanging out in shallow water and LM's mask drifted away unnoticed so we got to burn tail end of tanks looking for her mask in about 10-12 ft of water. Luckily we were able to recover it.

Beer is about done, therefore so is this post, I'm off to the shower.

hehehee it was sucj a great day...I say I cant wait to go back but my knee is like day one again and wicked swollen

hehehee it was sucj a great day...I say I cant wait to go back but my knee is like day one again and wicked swollen

Hope that knee heals quickly, didn't know how much you were stressing it till you spoke up at end. It was a great day, but we sure could have used an ezup down next to shore for some shade. And a little more food and drinks.

Looks like people, both two legged AND four legged, had a good time here ... :)

The extra 20 miles was a questionable invest eh? I'm home in a week, but the time is drrrraaaaagiiiiing oooonn to the point that I feel like a heroin addict with no heroin right now. Can't wait to dive.

double post ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom