Arkansas Bend Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt ... you fish too?
Some, not as fanatical about it as my uncle, brother in law, and nephew are, mostly like to do a little fishing when camped out and have fresh fish for dinner.

I figured after I posted that there was a good chance that the site was not in the great state of Arkansas. Boy I need to do something when I am down in Little Rock other than eat (darn good pizza and BBQ). I was just being hopeful.

I drive through(around?) Little Rock on way to Tennessee and over the river there, never looked like there would be much river diving there, but did some mountain biking up in Ozarks and saw some water that looked pretty from the topside, didn't have any snorkel or scuba gear to see what was really like.

I wish i could, but the parents are down then in the afternoon i will be testing the tube floatability of the comal river from the topside....

I'm looking for a place to dive Sunday...I'll check back to see what you guys/gals decide.

Lisa Marie and I will be meeting out there Sunday around 10-10:30(I'm shooting for 10 but we'll see what Sunday morning brings :wink: ). I will be bringing a rental 80 as well as my 72 in case I want to do a second dive. Still working on shore support volunteers.

Exact dive plan to be determined, but looking to explore the bottom across to other side of cove and at cove exit to main lake. Plan on looking at my bottom contour map tomorrow to explore possibilities. I will be bringing my dive flag float w/ anchor to set out, and also plan on carrying my smb. My guestimate is that max depth in cove is <50', probably upper 30's to mid 40's, based upon slope I saw snorkle/freediving last week.

Mostly it's just about a different place to get wet and see what's on the bottom, hopefully take a few pics, see some interesting life, maybe find some interesting lost 'treasures'.

Good luck Mat. Wish I was there. Soon.

Lisa Marie and I will be meeting out there Sunday around 10-10:30(I'm shooting for 10 but we'll see what Sunday morning brings :wink: ). I will be bringing a rental 80 as well as my 72 in case I want to do a second dive. Still working on shore support volunteers.

Exact dive plan to be determined, but looking to explore the bottom across to other side of cove and at cove exit to main lake. Plan on looking at my bottom contour map tomorrow to explore possibilities. I will be bringing my dive flag float w/ anchor to set out, and also plan on carrying my smb. My guestimate is that max depth in cove is <50', probably upper 30's to mid 40's, based upon slope I saw snorkle/freediving last week.

Mostly it's just about a different place to get wet and see what's on the bottom, hopefully take a few pics, see some interesting life, maybe find some interesting lost 'treasures'.

So its not like discovering America or anything but I feel so cool going to a new place :D yay us, so no one burst my bubble on it being dived before

Sorry Bus, despite the name, Arkansas bend park is on Lake Travis just outside of Austin, Tx.

I'm glad you clarified that. When I first saw the title of this thread, I was wondering if you meant Aransas Bend, which would be on the coast, around Port Aransas/Aransas Pass, if it exists. I never even thought about Lake Travis....LOL :laughing:

I'm glad you clarified that. When I first saw the title of this thread, I was wondering if you meant Aransas Bend, which would be on the coast, around Port Aransas/Aransas Pass, if it exists. I never even thought about Lake Travis....LOL :laughing:

Yeah, I just reread original post and following, and realized I never said Lake Travis anywhere. I had meant to make the park name a link to the park webpage, but obviously never got around to that:shakehead:

Just me looking for a little more diversity in local dive locations. Lake Travis is 65 miles long, I have dove it off a boat since 77, but now have no regular access to a boat, so am exploring shore diving options beyond Mansfield and Windy Point. LTS's Giant Stride is a great option, but not in my budget every weekend.

This location is nice in that you can drive right up to water to gear up and enter, something I used to do at all Travis parks back in the day and that my lazy butt appreciates. I hate trudging up and down stairs in full gear, and with Travis lake levels dropping slowly but steadily that walk is getting further. It is a little further from me than WP or Mansfield, and is much more primitive park, no improved bathrooms just porta potties. But it has some nice campsites, a boat ramp, shoreline access and is still free day use with my annual parks permit plus distance and lack of improved facilities usually keep it from getting too crowded.

I guess we'll see what the diving is like tomorrow. If LM reminds me to take some pictures tomorrow I will post up some pics of park and dive. Got to run out and pick up tank and couple other items and then load up for tomorrow.

Mat you have a truck? With a hitch? And an annual parks permit?

I know it's a long shot ... but I gotta ask.

Back
Top Bottom