Argon--pro and con

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the reasoning for pre-dive flushing of the dry suit when using argon?

I only use Argon when diving in water below 50F. No flush, I just wait until ~15' before adding gas. This allows most of the air to escape.

I have only used argon on a few dives. Each time i was ice diving, so i am new to argon. For each of these dives, i no flush of argon and didn't add agron until 15 feet or so, same as scuba phil. By doing a no flush, i am missing out on the full benefit of argon?

After few cold water dives with the argon and dives without the argon, i will say it's is warner.

I notice no difference using it. I find it crazy that anyone would need it in water above 50 Degree's F.

Water above 50 degrees Fahrenheit is WARM.

50 degree water. I can't wate untill it's that warm where I am
I was thinking about getting a argon set up. exelant thread
Ian

I always wondered why we thought that filling a suit with argon, purging it, and repeating would necessarily cause any residual air to leave the suit.

You know, we all have easy access to O2 sensors. I wonder if we could just hold one up to the exhaust valve or something and see if sequential flushes decrease the oxygen percentage further.

My guess on multiple pre-flushes is that given the loft of the undergarments, even squeezing "all" of the air out of a suit may in reality only get 40-50% of the air volume out. Fill with argon and repeat, and 40-50% of the resulting airgon gets flushed. Each subsequent flush gets you closer to pure argon.

But lately, I've just been filling my argon bottle with air (well, 32%). I've felt warm on a 2.5 hour dive with air in 48 degree water, and cold on a 1 hour dive with argon in 53 degree water, and vice versa. I really haven't been able to tell a difference between argon and air for myself. Maybe it's time to hand my bottle to a buddy and have him fill it with one or the other, for some blind testing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom