Argon--pro and con

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did some investigating last year as I was trying to figure out if the difference between running 21/35 and air was in my head or real.

One of the first thing I noticed is that you'll often see people discuss how efficient a gas is at retaining heat based on its thermal co-efficient... You normally end up with something like:

• Helium: 0.142
  • Air: 0.024
  • Argon: 0.016

You'll then normally get told "so use Argon because you won't cool down as fast".

What I didn't understand was what happened when you mix two gasses together. After a bit of research on rubicon and other places, I found a couple of answers...

Firstly, mixing gases together has an effect on thermal coefficients. While the relationship between gas makeup and co-efficient is not linear, in the case of Argon and Air, you'll end up with something roughly in the middle if you mix them, so in that case, you would already have lost half the advantage given by Argon.

The second issue to consider is what does that gas co-efficient actually mean? This is where I haven't been able to find any references that actually explain what's going on, so I now have to resort to pure guessing. (I have no idea if the following is correct but no one I've asked has been able to tell me whether the following has any basis in reality or not. So if anyone knows, please share)

The temperature that you'll feel confortable in will depend on how much clothing you're wearing and your activity (ie, think about how warm you feel running vs just lying down).

There's a bunch of tables on the Internet that give you some ideas, but I nothing that made me think "Aka! that's it!". So I made an excel spreadsheet showing a target temperature - the ambient water temperature and multiplied that different by different coefficients. I then calibrated that judging how cold I felt between when I had a mix with some helium in it in my suit, vs when I was running air in my suit, and checking which temperature ranges gave me the same co-efficients (ie, 22C in the suit with Trimix, feels about the same as 20C with Air), and the coldest I've ever been in my drysuit was the day I went to 16C on Trimix, which felt colder than 13C on Air. This is obviously mostly guess work as it will depend on how much you're moving around etc, but the numbers don't seem totally incorrect, and it gives me a target temperature of 26C, which seems plausible as well. Trying to fill this spreadsheet out with other people gives me other temperatures, but within the 25C-32C range which seems to make sense to me. Everytime you put on a thicker undergarnment, better hood and similar, you will be bringing down your target temperature.

What this means is that the further away the water temperature is from the target temp (in my case 26C), the bigger the difference between different mixtures, by the time you get to 10C, there's a marked difference. 10C in Air works out the same as 4C in Argon. I've never dived below 12C so I can't comment, but it at least helps explain why there's so many different opinions. It also explains why when people start wearing thicker undergarnments, they start saying that they don't notice a difference.

I fear that getting a better opinion may involve rectal thermometers, and I have so far found no one willing to be either a test subject or a test administrator, so I'll leave it at that. :rofl3:

Hopefully this post will be helpful in at least getting someone started in finding the right answer. :)

Pasc

Jtivat
what define cold water?
I was diving in 36/39 degrees fahrenheit water, when i was using argon.

Jtivat
what define cold water?
I was diving in 36/39 degrees fahrenheit water, when i was using argon.

Below 45 f is cold, most the diving we do in the Great Lakes is deep and below 150' it is 38 degrees years round. Early in the year May and June it can be 38 top to bottom which can mean two to three hours in the water.

One thing that really helps early in the year is that when getting geared up you are not sweating. I get colder in July and Aug on the bottom for sure.

As for Argon I really do not notice any difference however HE is cold so I still use a "Argon bottle" but it has air in it. I do have friends that swear by Argon.

Haha I.have unlimited sf6 and cf4 at work.... now to get into tel diving :)

Yeah, but you'd sink!

JK. Although, come to think of it, you might have to worry about buoyancy changes from your drysuit less. On the other hand, your drysuit is now less useful as a backup in case of a wing leak.

Thanks--for all the great feed-back.
I been diving with argon for a few months now and i feel warmer.
Is it a placebo effect,maybe. I do know last weekend my inflator system for my argon wasn't working. Therefore i couldn't use my argon for that dive (41f) for 62 min, my whole body was colder. Few days later inflator was fixed and diving with argon, i was warner again. Maybe using argon for staying warm is all in my head (mental), i do not care i will be using argon on all of my cold dives,

... I been diving with argon for a few months now and i feel warmer…

There is no doubt that it works, the physics is irrefutable. The question is whether it is the most practical alternative to more underwear and lead on air or Nitrox.

Trimix is another matter because Helium conducts heat so well, a dedicated bottle for suit inflation is virtually mandatory. Even using Argon for suit inflation, you are still in heat deficit relative to Nitrox or air due to respiratory heat loss.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you'd sink!

JK. Although, come to think of it, you might have to worry about buoyancy changes from your drysuit less. On the other hand, your drysuit is now less useful as a backup in case of a wing leak.

I also use a 6cf bottle. Drysuit, bcd, and 40cf Pony bottle all have inflator hose with quick disconnects. If you need to use the drysuit for buoyancy control, use the quick disconnect hose from bcd or pony bottle.

Hi Everyone,
I'm an engineer and have decided to test the Argon vs. Air DS inflation debate in a real world setting. I've rigged a small system that can monitor 12 thermometers at a rate of around 1Hz, and store the data. My plan is to attach them to the front of my body (bilaterally, i.e. one on each foot, one on each shin, one on each thigh, and bicep, forearm, two on the chest), then do a single dive to around 30ft as long as my air lasts. Ascend, record data, go home and warm up. First day with Argon, then the next day, exactly same schedule (same breakfast, etc.) and do it again with air instead of argon.

Any opinions, suggestions, changes in the plan to make the experiment better? (Within reason...no, I can't afford complex tri-mix fills, but I'll do it if someone wants to sponsor it!)

You need to flush the suit with argon. At 2 ata, the % of argon in the shut will be very low.

Well, ideally, you'd have a rectal thermometer, to record core temperature drop . . . Skin will cool very fast in any environment where heat is being lost, and you may not see much of a difference between two strategies in skin temperature, although the amount of core heat lost is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom