Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out to Rube Allyn today. Weather great and the Gulf was flat. Temp was 62 degrees at surface. 60 at bottom. Vis was about 20 feet. Note that reef marker has disappeared over the winter months. You will have to rely on GPS to find reef.

Went to Doc's Barge and a nearby ledge. Both sites are about 15 miles offshore from Anna Maria Island.

Water was pretty warm up top not sure what the actual temperature was. There was a thermocline at about 20' Water temperature was 62 below the thermocline.

Viz was around 30'.

Went offshore around Johns Pass. About the same conditions as rboozer. 30'-40' vis, 63 temp at a depth of around 50'. The thermocline only registered about 1 degree on my computer but it was enough to let you know you were dropping below 20'!
Seas were less than 1 foot and sunny! Lots of hogfish died yesterday!

Saw some really nice Gags.
two more weeks...two more weeks... sucks huh?
Anyways, dove 20-something off LBK, depth was 87 feet, vis a little short of 20'. My computer said temp was 60F at the bottom, depth finder saying as high as 70 on the surface (sunny day). Two thermoclines, deeper one less drastic than shallower one though...

Ran a charter out to Tarpon reef yesterday. Surface temp was 72 degrees, bottom reported at 67 degrees with a thermocline about 5' off the bottom. Vis reported to me at about 5' to 7'.

Today at Spanish Rocks:

1st Dive 9:30 am:

Water temp: 68 @ 25'
Viz: 10' - 15'

Great dive with tons of life: Stingrays, turtles, hog fish, snapper etc.

2nd Dive 11:15 am:

Water temp: 69 @ 25'
Viz: 10' - 15'

More of the same life. All in all great time with Florida Underwater Sports monthly Donut Dive.

#1 dive buddy (wife) and I dove Spanish Rocks today. It was a fine day of diving. We did two dives of 52 minutes and 55 minutes.

Winds: NE 15-20 mph
Waves: <1 ft
Water Temp: 68 F
Viz: 10 - 15 ft
Tides: High and slack

Saw lots of fish and collected a few claws. Some brown drift algae present.

I think we should plan a reef clean up after crab season closes to remove ghost traps, abandoned rope and trash.

A side note: #1 dive buddy made her 100th dive today! 100 dives in 15 months, WooHoo!

I dove Spanish Rocks sat the 21st. Vis 10-15'. Saw a sea turtle and a nice size stingray. Water temp was 68 deg. Vis is back.

Spanish Rocks: March 23rd.

Viz 10-15 feet
Water Temp 68

Notes: Brown Algae everywhere.

Venice beach Tuesday March 24th - Vis top to bottom and 20+ horizontal, temps at 66 degrees a/p dive computer. These were the best conditions I've ever seen at Venice

The sugar barge - Tuesday March 24th - Vis top to bottom and 15 horizontal, temps at 68 degrees a/p dive computer. Finally found the wreck, or whats left of it (all 20 feet of it)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom