Current conditions on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a group on Facebook called "Bonaire for Divers" and users post daily pictures and sometimes information on weather conditions.

A couple of great sites: one for wind predictions (WIndGuru) and one for wind current conditions (Windy). I've been following both for a while and they agree pretty well. What's current on WIndGuru is shown visually on Windy.

A couple of great sites: one for wind predictions (WIndGuru) and one for wind current conditions (Windy). I've been following both for a while and they agree pretty well. What's current on WIndGuru is shown visually on Windy.

Both sites are displays of data from national forecast modes. For the Caribbean, Windy relies on ECMWF from the UK and on GFS and ICON from the US/NOAA/NWS , all are global meteorological models. WindGuru does not use ECMWF. Most people seem to choose between them for the differing displays, not for their forecast accuracy, and certainly not for the resolution; the basic data points in the southern Caribbean are somewhere between 9 and 25 km, so maybe one or two grid-points for Bonaire.

Last two trips I wanted to dive some of the far south (Red Beryl, Red Slave, etc) and advice is not to if it's windy. I went by WindGuru and it was spot on.

Not wind/water temp but rather marine life condition update for anyone currently on island.

Bear with me, I am trying to find a post that is sharable.

Ok, copy and paste. You can find the actual post of the Facebook Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire page…

——————-

We continue to receive reports of turtles in trouble, thank you! We currently have three juvenile green turtles in our rehab and are giving them fluids, hoping they will regain some strength.

📢 Sea turtles are ingesting dead sharpnose pufferfish that float at the surface. This causes neurological damage, which can lead to drowning. We would like to ask divers and snorkelers to inform us if they encounter large quantities of dead sharpnose pufferfish. If possible, please collect the dead sharpnose pufferfish and remove them from the ocean. Thank you!

Photo by Esther Zimmerman

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 56
So, the next question would be-what’s killing the pufferfish?

Erik

So, the next question would be-what’s killing the pufferfish?

Erik
I haven’t seen anything official but it seems there was a dramatic increase in the numbers of sharpnose pufferfish on Bonaire’s reefs this spring. Speculation is that it is related.

I haven’t seen anything official but it seems there was a dramatic increase in the numbers of sharpnose pufferfish on Bonaire’s reefs this spring. Speculation is that it is related.
There were lots of them alive when we were there this month. I didn't see any dead ones.

More info…
⚠️Attention!⚠️

We are receiving reports of mass mortality events in Bonaire involving Sharpnose pufferfish. It appears that an abundance of pufferfish larvae settled on Bonaire several months ago and was left with too few resources and too much competition, leading to a population crash. Environmental factors or disease outbreaks may have also contributed to this event. We are still looking into it further.

The sharpnose puffers are toxic, and it's possible that other fish, sea turtles, lionfish, and crabs may have preyed on the dead puffers, causing secondary mortality events among those predators. As a result, we have been receiving reports of dead fish and sea turtles. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire is working very hard on taking in these diseased sea turtles and treating them to save them. 🐢

📞Help us save sea turtles:
If you see floating sea turtles in the sea report it immediately to the STCB hotline at : +599 780 0433

Follow Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire for more updates.

Back
Top Bottom