Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

I understand why Cozumel locals would want tourists to stop paying more. I can see how it drives up prices and makes it harder for locals who pay less, to get a ride. However, it simply does not feel terribly safe for me as a tourist to get into an argument with a taxi driver.

I understand why Cozumel locals would want tourists to stop paying more. I can see how it drives up prices and makes it harder for locals who pay less, to get a ride. However, it simply does not feel terribly safe for me as a tourist to get into an argument with a taxi driver.
As I said upthread to someone else, I just don’t see how it has to be an “argument.” I’d point out the driver’s “mistake” but not let it escalate into an argument if the driver is steadfast.

As I said upthread to someone else, I just don’t see how it has to be an “argument.” I’d point out the driver’s “mistake” but not let it escalate into an argument if the driver is steadfast.
I agree it does not need to be a shouting match with the taxi driver. I was using the word 'argument' to mean 'disagreement' rather than something escalated. I still have safety concerns. I have, at times, told a taxi driver that the fair they quoted was too high and I have never had success getting a better price. I can distinctly recall a time when the driver was visibly angry that I disagreed with his fair, he told another driver, "He doesn't want to pay," and then both drove off.

When the drivers are all lined up downtown and you are directed to the taxi at the head of the line, I simply see no way the driver will change their stated fare in front of all those other drivers. When going to the airport, you really have no other options and I'd assume that if you refused to pay the stated price and tried to get a different taxi, the first driver would make that very hard for you do.

The only viable way to accomplish anything is to walk after "pointing out the driver's mistake." We typically walk most places, with a few exceptions, so that is easy for us. Walking is not an option for everyone and to expect that these folks will spend their time haggling over taxi fares and flagging down multiple taxis until they find a driver who will charge the proper fare is unrealistic.

... to expect that these folks will spend their time haggling over taxi fares and flagging down multiple taxis until they find a driver who will charge the proper fare is unrealistic.
This. Many (most?) of the complaints I have read concerning taxi fares have been over amounts of money which are, from my perspective, inconsequential, and would not justify my spending even a couple of minutes haggling over.

10 Pesos overcharge is no biggie. I argue over 100 Peso overcharges. I've been known to walk or not go over those. It's a ding on the island, but oh well.

10 Pesos overcharge is no biggie. I argue over 100 Peso overcharges. I've been known to walk or not go over those. It's a ding on the island, but oh well.
I concur. Letting them blatantly overcharge you does not help earn respect for us tourists. Even just pointing out the error in their calculation lets them know that you know. If they want to recalculate and overcharge me by a mere 10 pesos, I'll take it.

I have posted this many times before on ScubaBoard, but it seems few people pay attention. https://everythingcozumel.com/taxis-city/ That is a link to my website that has the taxi zones and rates. It is pretty easy for a typical visitor to the island to use to determine what the correct taxi fare should be for where he is going.

That is exactly what I do, when I (rarely) use a taxi. Sometimes they aren't happy because I don't look Mexican and they thought they were going to be able to stick me for more, but there has never been a big beef about it.
I just checked the website link you gave. Is it up to date for 2024? You say the 2016 rates are still in effect. Correct?

I concur. Letting them blatantly overcharge you does not help earn respect for us tourists. Even just pointing out the error in their calculation lets them know that you know. If they want to recalculate and overcharge me by a mere 10 pesos, I'll take it.
Yep. If they want to give themselves a 10 peso tip, it's fine with me. I always make that point as I leave--"I was going to give you a 20% tip, so thanks for the discount."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom