Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

The taxi stands are convenient but you pay for that, kinda like buying eggs at a 7-11 instead of a supermarket. :D

What's even more convenient is ordering a taxi on the Eiby app while sitting at our table in Thirsty Cougar after paying the tab. Then when the app shows me the taxi is a block away and approaching, get up, kill the rest of my beer, and step onto the sidewalk. The taxistas across the street hooting at us get so pissed when our taxi pulls up and we get right in. Half the price they are asking across the street and no need to negotiate.

I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.
Big guy you fail in every point and soon all the taxi in the area knew you where there making trouble and they prefer not having you for customer. They rapidly communicate via cellphone and radio that gringo is on fire.

So i give you few hints

Ask the bellman of your hotel to call the cab we will agree on the price with you and the driver and you are not gonna need google translate.🙄 Dont tell me please you walk out off the resort cause it might be cheaper.

Be nice with people dont take the road of show me this show me that and start taking picture.

Be aware you are tourist don't expect local to act if you where a local.

If you find a taxi driver that seem ok agree on a price if the price is ok pay the price. You will start to establish a business relation with the driver and we will become your best friend for the week.

ahhh this fight among foreigners and local is insane. I don't know where that mafia thing start into first place.

All the taxi in cozumel are own by the same person. The owner of cozumel airport are the same who own Cancun Airport. ASUR corporation.

How much you pay for a taxi in downtown Miami to get to the cruise ship ? I was on the street with my wife waving at taxi. Some stop when asking where we where going some said it cost 30$ other 45$ other didnt even answer. All taxi with meter but nobody use them.

I am sorry but all the attitude you have towards local just make things worst. You are a tourist in a foreign country you act like one and try to bargain for an insignificant amount of money. You probably make more per hour than driver make in a week. You think is keeping your money for him and he go drive a Porsche after ?

If it s a challenge for all of you to get a cab just rent a damn car for the week.

Unbelievable that your in a crisis for 300 pesos that about 15 us ? I just spent a freaking week in new york and the ask 12$ for a waffle cone in central park ??! Tell me where is the ice cream mafia ! You nearly spend what over 2000$ to go diving and you complain about a 300 pesos cab ride ??? Come on!

Be safe

Big guy you fail in every point and soon all the taxi in the area knew you where there making trouble and they prefer not having you for customer. They rapidly communicate via cellphone and radio that gringo is on fire.

So i give you few hints

Ask the bellman of your hotel to call the cab we will agree on the price with you and the driver and you are not gonna need google translate.🙄 Dont tell me please you walk out off the resort cause it might be cheaper.

Be nice with people dont take the road of show me this show me that and start taking picture.

Be aware you are tourist don't expect local to act if you where a local.

If you find a taxi driver that seem ok agree on a price if the price is ok pay the price. You will start to establish a business relation with the driver and we will become your best friend for the week.

ahhh this fight among foreigners and local is insane. I don't know where that mafia thing start into first place.

All the taxi in cozumel are own by the same person. The owner of cozumel airport are the same who own Cancun Airport. ASUR corporation.

How much you pay for a taxi in downtown Miami to get to the cruise ship ? I was on the street with my wife waving at taxi. Some stop when asking where we where going some said it cost 30$ other 45$ other didnt even answer. All taxi with meter but nobody use them.

I am sorry but all the attitude you have towards local just make things worst. You are a tourist in a foreign country you act like one and try to bargain for an insignificant amount of money. You probably make more per hour than driver make in a week. You think is keeping your money for him and he go drive a Porsche after ?

If it s a challenge for all of you to get a cab just rent a damn car for the week.

Unbelievable that your in a crisis for 300 pesos that about 15 us ? I just spent a freaking week in new york and the ask 12$ for a waffle cone in central park ??! Tell me where is the ice cream mafia ! You nearly spend what over 2000$ to go diving and you complain about a 300 pesos cab ride ??? Come on!

Be safe
I know a taxi driver on Cozumel who has brand new Mercedes.....makes probably $300 - $500 a day cash.

I know a taxi driver on Cozumel who has brand new Mercedes.....makes probably $300 - $500 a day cash.
i doubt anyone does that in cozumel or in yucatan peninsula at all very fews.. Ask your friend what he does beside taxi driving...the answer might suprise you if he is honest with you.

i doubt anyone does that in cozumel or in yucatan peninsula at all very fews.. Ask your friend what he does beside taxi driving...the answer might suprise you if he is honest with you.
Are you a Cozumel taxi driver? You imply that you are but your location says "Canada".

Are you a Cozumel taxi driver? You imply that you are but your location says "Canada".
If he makes that much he has a lot of underpaid underlings driving his cars.

All he does is drive taxi. Looks for the big fish always outside of The Palace. His dad is also big taxi scammer. The taxi union booted him out of his supervisor position because he was extorting money from other taxi drivers in order to do pickups at the cruise terminals. Does my answer surprise you?

If he makes that much he has a lot of underpaid underlings driving his cars.
The way this guy and his dad work is they have 3 or 4 taxi licences now. They rent them out to drivers. When the taxis take people to the beach clubs, the father also gets a large chunk of the commission that is paid to the taxi driver for bringing the people. So yes, the drivers are making very little money by the time they get greased by the fat man.

The way this guy and his dad work is they have 3 or 4 taxi licences now. They rent them out to drivers. When the taxis take people to the beach clubs, the father also gets a large chunk of the commission that is paid to the taxi driver for bringing the people. So yes, the drivers are making very little money by the time they get greased by the fat man.
I've talked to a lot of taxi drivers and am well aware of how business is done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom