Are you still "Hosed"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetnorm

Registered
Reaction score
>>Wow, I don't care to go hoseless based on the failure rates I read here. And if I were you using one, I'd have a failsafe SPG.
>>Is there the possibility that multiple hoseless diver's set-ups (or other similar frequency devices) interfere with each other's the way early generation cordless phones do?

You might consider having a small SPG hooked up to one HP port and the transmitter to the second one (in case you have two HP ports).

This way you are not loosing the hose but at least you have redundency in case the transmitter fails or you loose connection.

Ari :)

uhm... I was thinking of going hoseless as well... I just need to get the trans unit for my Vytec... but isn't it pointless to go 'hoseless' and have a hosed SPG anyway?

I would never put all my trust in the transmitter. They have proven themselves to fail. You'd be nuts to rely on it. Alway have back up.

It's still nice and convenient to just have to glance at your wrist for all info, instead of fumbling for a console.

I have the Vytek, and while I don't trust it 100%, it is usually reliable as far as signal transmission goes. Had a few errors with the pressure transmission though.

As a backup, I have Suunto's SPG that has a compass conveniently located on the flip side.

Ron

I have the Oceanic datatrans plus and I have never had a problem with this computer. In the event of a signal loss it beeps at me to let me know it is not getting a signal and I will pull the gage to look at the pressure and no more than 5 secs later I will see my air pressure and this only occurs maybe 1 in 5 dives. By the way, I wear my computer on my right side clipped to a d-ring on my BCD attached to a cable clip, so when I need to check my depth or air pressure I just use my left hand pull the computer out look at it then let it retract slowly. I have 40 dives with this setup and love it.

5615mike once bubbled...
I would never put all my trust in the transmitter. They have proven themselves to fail. You'd be nuts to rely on it. Alway have back up.

I'm on my third AI computer, having worn the batteries out on the other two. I had my second transmission failure in 7 years this last weekend.
SPG's will also fail. That's why we have a signal for calling a dive.

MD

Back
Top Bottom