Are You Improving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Se7en
Forgive me, but I'm drowning in sactimonious sycophancy here.
<<snip-snip-snip-snip>>
But then again, perhaps I'm wrong, and have been wasting dives for the last ten years or so...
Mike

Relax Mike.... you're gettin' too up tight on this one :wink:

NO dive is a wasted dive!!! We surely are all in sactimonious syncretism on that one.... right????

Hey Uncle Pug

Not getting up tight, was tongue in cheek after reading 20 odd posts that seemed to make diving sound way too much like work...
Probably best if you adopt the mindset of sitting in a pub with a pint listening to some fool blather anytime you read anything I write...

The idea that you should aim to learn something on every dive, otherwise it's wasted is almost the antithesis of how I approach most dives. A lot of dives are in a familiar area, in familiar conditions with a practiced buddy. The plan is for nothing unusual to happen which requires learning anything new underwater.

The idea that I'm a 'bad diver' because I don't learn anything seems kinda strange. Hey - I'm planning well enough so that the dive follows my plan, and I don't need to learn anything new to make it back to the exit point. How does that make a bad diver?

I know - I'll stick a 'learn to speak french' book in my BC and read it during stops. I'll be learning and a 'good diver' :)

Actually, diving on a J class sub this weekend - so I will learn something. I'll learn what a J class sub looks like...

Mike

1)natch
2)dunno--i feel like i have more to learn about everything than i did this time last year
3)ACLS, DAN o2, DiveCon (not much about actual diving, more about divers)
4)yes, depending on the card
5)all of them
with emphasis on the getting-the-boss-to-give-me-time-off-to-go-diving skill and the listening-to-other-people-even-if-i-don't-agree-with-them-because-i-just-might-discover-something-despite-myself skill
6)I now need to get a card to get closest LDS to sell me helium. Great system ain't it? 1st stage service. Archeological techniques. How to keep a salt water aquarium.
7)Occam's Razor? How does one know

Love you too unc; and thanks for getting me to sell the accountant--she was a drag!

2)dunno--i feel like i have more to learn about everything than i did this time last year (see #7)

6)I now need to get a card to get closest LDS to sell me helium. Great system ain't it? (Opt out of that system... buy your gas from a welding supply house... get a year lease on a couple of T cylinders... set up a contract price.... I pay $45 per T of He)

7)Occam's Razor? How does one know (see #2)

Love you too unc; and thanks for getting me to sell the accountant--she was a drag! (I hope you still love me April 15th)

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Last nights dive was 3.5ffw for a 41 minute bottom time @ 102F :D

I like dives like that, but I only get to do them on vacation.

Am I Improving? Yes!

1 Yes it's an issue. Complacency can Kill. I am eager to learn more and improve.

2 My bouyancy skills and trim have improved. Navigation skills have improved, so has air consumption, and being a better buddy.

3 In November I took SSI Stress and Rescue, Deep, and Reef fish ID specialties (now I can label my photos).

4 My SSI Master Diver card lists my specialties, also Stress and Rescue, and Nitrox.

5 Trim, and Communication with buddy.

6 Plan on taking Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures this spring (then see where that leads me). Taking a bouyancy class in two weeks.

7 Stagnated? Absolutely not.I am eager to learn more. My aquisition of gear has stagnated (ran low on funds) but not for long.

I have noticed that when I take new coarses a lot of the material is already familiar to me. I think this is a direct result of spending so much time here. However Book knowledge isn't worth much without experience.

Uncle Pug,
You come up with some great Ideas for threads! Thanks! :thumb:

The idea that I'm a 'bad diver' because I don't learn anything seems kinda strange.....How does that make a bad diver?
Mike

It's OK... :alright:

Mike stop listening to the voices telling you that you are a bad diver...

Uncle Pug loves you...
You have learned to have fun... now enjoy yourself...

But if someday you feel like you are stagnant... doing the same old dives in the same old places in the same old way with the same old people...

Call Uncle Pug...
And I'll tell you the story about how I used to be a really good diver...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

But if someday you feel like you are stagnant... doing the same old dives in the same old places in the same old way with the same old people...

Not likely... we have a lot of coastline in Australia... and someday I might even manage to find the time to have my first ever fresh water dive - some nice caves here in Aus as well.

Actually, that's what GBR trips are for - something completely different from the normal 7mm 7degrees and 7m vis conditions...

But please, tell us all about how you were once a really good diver :)

Mike

But please, tell us all about how you were once a really good diver :)

Mike

Not now, not here, Mike...

Uncle is saving that story...

For the time you feel like you are stagnant...

And you invite him to come down there and tell it to you in person...
:wink:

1. Is this even an issue to you?
- Yes, a big one.

2. In what areas have you improved your skill level in the last month (if that is too short a time frame make it year) ?
- Air consumption, buoyancy

3. What training have you taken recently?
- AOW - final dive (deep dive) on Sunday.

4. Do the certification cards you possess document skills attained or classes taken?
- Classes

5. What basic diving skill areas would you like to see improvement in?
- Underwater navigation leaves a lot to be desired

6. What new skills or diving levels would you like to learn in the future?
- Rescue Diver and DM this year

7. Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?
- Only from the aspect that unable to dive for the last few months due to the monsoon - otherwise no way - improving with every dive!

Are you improving?

1. Is this even an issue to you?

Absolutely - I love diving just for being in the water and having fun, but the learning process is also part of the attraction and fun. Pushing my limits (or making the envelope bigger, for those more comfortable with that term) outward stretches my mind and my body, and that's a good thing.

2. In what areas have you improved your skill level in the last month (if that is too short a time frame make it year) ?

I'm currently enrolled in a DM program, so there has been a fair amount of skills polishing and and knowledge improvement. This board is also part of the learning process - at least for me.

3. What training have you taken recently?

Currently working on a PADI DM, completed IANTD advanced nitrox last September.

4. Do the certification cards you possess document skills attained or classes taken?

Yes, for the most part. "Earning" the cards has generally been too easy - many of the classes seem to be little more than introductions to the skills/knowledge and don't require as much mastery as I'd like to see.

5. What basic diving skill areas would you like to see improvement in?

Personally? Bouyancy/position control and air consumption - perennial issues for me.

6. What new skills or diving levels would you like to learn in the future?

How to breathe underwater? Without gear? I'm in the middle of retracing and updating most of my old skills, so right now the idea of adding to the list is not attractive. In the long run I think I'd like to take a cavern class.

7. Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?

No.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom