Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please define "stroke".

If it means someone who is doing something that is unsafe then how about anyone doing deco dives without a chamber onsite or at least within 20 minutes by available travel?

I don't know but it sounds like a non-productive putdown that is generally uncalled for.

Increasing diving safety is a good thing but rarely is there ever only one right way to do anything.

michael

I use stroke mix or whatevers laying around occasionally.Stuff my long hose .Twin-Jets.Steel and thin rubber.Split stages.1" crotch strap.Don't own a Gavin.BTW none of the actual WKPP or GUE guys I've ever met were near as nasty as some of the anti- DIR crowd.And believe me I've never been called a stroke to my face .The relative safety guaranteed by the anonymity of the internet has caused some folks to get fiery,but face to face few people are ballsy enough to start throwing words around.

Oh yeah! I'll call myself a stroke to my face! I'm not anti-DIR, I just get annoyed when they decide I want their opinion.

Scott

Net Doc cracks me up. It was well worth posting this controversial poll to hear Steppin Wolf

Originally posted by pipedope
Please define "stroke".

If it means someone who is doing something that is unsafe then how about anyone doing deco dives without a chamber onsite or at least within 20 minutes by available travel?

I don't know but it sounds like a non-productive putdown that is generally uncalled for.

Increasing diving safety is a good thing but rarely is there ever only one right way to do anything.

michael

I don't particulary care for the term either. I don't use it in a mean or derogatory way -- ever.

I advocate DIR because it has worked superbly for me and a lot of others I know. It makes sense to me, and I have yet to experience any flaws of the DIR philosophy in the diving I've done (deep wrecks, ice diving, tropical reefs, etc.). I don't care if anyone adopts DIR based on anything I say, but I do hope they would consider it so they may find a greater degree of enjoyment and safety in their diving.

I won't do an advanced dive with someone who doesn't share my philosophy and gear configuration. I just won't dive. That said, if anyone wants to come up here and dive with da Yooper on some of HIS fantastic recreational level wrecks, I'll be happy to give ya'll a tour! :D

:)

Mike

I've been called a stroke on this board somewhere, sometime. I didn't even know what the heck it meant then. I don't really care now what it means. I dive safe, but I don't dive using the the proscribed DIR equipment and set ups. I dive DIDW, Do It Dennis' Way. A DIR enthusiast would say I'm a stroke. What I really like to do when I dive is put my old Scubapro Blue BC on a tank with plenty of air in it, put on my Scubapro Jet Fins and dive. Just my mask, snorkle, BC, tank, fins, and swimsuit. Dive a reef and look at the wonderful underwater world most people don't get to see except on TV. Stroke? Who cares?

Originally posted by DennisW
I've been called a stroke on this board somewhere, sometime. I didn't even know what the heck it meant then. I don't really care now what it means. I dive safe, but I don't dive using the the proscribed DIR equipment and set ups. I dive DIDW, Do It Dennis' Way. A DIR enthusiast would say I'm a stroke. What I really like to do when I dive is put my old Scubapro Blue BC on a tank with plenty of air in it, put on my Scubapro Jet Fins and dive. Just my mask, snorkle, BC, tank, fins, and swimsuit. Dive a reef and look at the wonderful underwater world most people don't get to see except on TV. Stroke? Who cares?

Right on man !!=-)

i agree with ya:D

NINJA

I am a stroke, partly because I do not (yet) subscribe to the DIR philosophy. However, I am always open to suggestions and have tried many; some work for me some against. I am in agreement with Scottri: I don't want to be spending my time arguing about what is right and what is not, how long a hose I have (NOT that hose), or other concerns of the DIR philosophy. I appreciate suggestions, I try to keep an open mind, but I have my own way of doing things and I don't do really technical diving, other than Ice and Wreck. But, I must say that my practices would be frowned upon by those involved with DIR philosophies.

Using the defintion that I don't dive DIR then yes - I am a stroke.

Do I care - no not really!!

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom