Which one are you?

• Just for fun

Votes: 69 78.4%
  • I crave the challenge

Votes: 19 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkimFisher

Contributor
Reaction score
...or are you in it for the challenge? Or is the challenge the fun part for you?

As my diving progresses I've become very aware that I definitely fall within the last category. Without the challenge, there's very little fun - just another dive for the log book. I told myself I'd never cave dive. Then I went and got my cavern cert - and everyone was right, it was just a tease.

So, what makes diving fun for you? Are you the kind of person that likes a challenge or do you just like to look at pretty fish?

I dive for fun. I like seeing all of the fish and reef creatures, and on some dives (such as BHB dives) it is fun to spot tiny critters for my photog dive buddies.

In general I don't find diving very challenging at all.

Catching a lobster here and there for a nice meal is a plus.

No. I hate doing it.

the biggest challenge in diving is loading the boat before the dive, and then cleaning it all after!

I dive for the adventure of wiggling into a dark twisted pile of rusting steel. If I can't do that, I dive for dinner. Mostly I dive so I can play with my dive gear!

Unless you are being paid for diving, which at the monent I am not, it is for fun. N

I think it's both but overall the challenge is becoming a better diver.

You can pretty much throw most people in the water and they will sink and that's what some condier diving.

I challenge myself to keep myself in trim, no kicking up silt, no using your hands to back up. Can I stay in a perfect hover while launching an SMB/taking a picture/assisting my buddy.

Anyone can play follow the divemaster, but I try to challenge myself to understand the basic physics behind everything so I'm not just following someone because they told me so, but because I know why we follow diving practices.

So I love both. I love doing underwater photography to see all the beautiful fish, I love rolling off the boat and doing a 60 minute reef dive just taking everything in....but I also have a blast challenging myself to be a better diver. I think everyone can always improve and if you're not trying to improve with every dive, then I think you might be missing out on some future major accomplishments.

YRMV,
Jim

I think it's both but overall the challenge is becoming a better diver.

You can pretty much throw most people in the water and they will sink and that's what some condier diving.

I challenge myself to keep myself in trim, no kicking up silt, no using your hands to back up. Can I stay in a perfect hover while launching an SMB/taking a picture/assisting my buddy.

Anyone can play follow the divemaster, but I try to challenge myself to understand the basic physics behind everything so I'm not just following someone because they told me so, but because I know why we follow diving practices.

So I love both. I love doing underwater photography to see all the beautiful fish, I love rolling off the boat and doing a 60 minute reef dive just taking everything in....but I also have a blast challenging myself to be a better diver. I think everyone can always improve and if you're not trying to improve with every dive, then I think you might be missing out on some future major accomplishments.

YRMV,
Jim

Pretty much where I was going with this. I like to feel like I'm learning something.

Do you have sex just for fun, or do you crave the challenge? Hell yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom