Which one are you?

• Just for fun

Votes: 69 78.4%
  • I crave the challenge

Votes: 19 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100% just for fun.... but if anyone ever feels the urge to pay me, I guess that would be ok too...... :D

Best wishes.

I'm a recreational diver who likes looking at marine biology. It's not really ever a "challenge," although occasional events can be "challenging" (e.g., a night dive from a boat that is getting tossed about by heavy surge such that divers are flung onto lettuce coral where they are sliced while trying to keep their stomach contents intact). No. I don't dive for such challenges. They aren't fun.

Fun is implied in either choice. First line, last sentence of the initial post.

Fun is what got us all in the water to begin with. And a challenge doesn't translate into danger, recklessness or stupidity.

A challenge can be anything. Learning to swim is a challenge to some people. Learning to snorkel is a challenge to some people. Some people just LIKE to be pushed or to push themselves; to truly excel at something. That in and of itself is fun to some people.

Some people are happy to get their OW and stay there. Others want to push it as far as they can go. That right there is the difference, in my eyes, between a "just for fun" diver and someone that enjoys challenging themselves. There's fun to be had at both ends, but there is difference. I'm just posing a question.

You left out mine... Therapy. I answered 'fun'

I can be anywhere...bottom of a canyon or the bottom of a pool. If I'm blowing bubbles, I'm happy.

This was a very difficult poll. I am an adrenaline junky but an inexperienced diver. But even being inexperienced, the people I dive with are usually less experienced than me. So I'm pretty much the "safety officer" on the dives. So I tend to keep it conservative.

But at the same time, I like to introduce my dive friends to new experiences and push the boundaries a bit. Night diving, wreck diving etc. But always within my comfort zone and reasonable safety limitations.

But I still get a huge kick out of it. No matter how you slice it, even the mitigated dangers associated with diving still add to the experience for me and so the challenge is always there and is a huge part of what keeps me coming back.

To put it in perspective. I own a Hobie 16. I hate "sailing" it. But I am addicted to racing it. With diving, the challenge necessary to make it exciting and rewarding is always there, even though there is no competition involved. It's the perfect sport!

It's changed over the years.

Fun, challenge, the travel, the people.... collecting experiences.

These days I dive for two reasons. One is to train others. The other is to do something completely unlike my day job. Under water I don't have to talk and I don't have to listen to talking. It's mental serenity. Like meditation.

R..

I'm doing it for both.

It's funner than heck to dive and play with the fishies. I also look forward to mastering challenges such as making a full 360-degree forward flip when jumping off the boat.

I've not found anything particularly challenging about diving, so it's the fun for me.

Hell...yes...Thats where you are going to burn. Sex is for procreating.

"Challenge a craving" wasn't one of the options.

Trying to get a good photo is enough of a challenge for me. And it's fun too.

Back
Top Bottom