Are we really the minority??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It takes time and money to be an active diver; especially if you live far from the sea and/or in a cold climate. Not too many have that combination. Lots of activities competing for those folks' dollars and attention.

I discovered this while looking for a woman who dives on various on-line dating sites, I'd find one (many) who listed diving as one of her interests, or even passions, only to find that she did some diving a few years ago but none since, or does one dive vacation trip a year. Definitely not what I was looking for.

Of course it is easy for me to say since I'm within walking distance (even with my dive gear) of some great diving. Many are landlocked or live in climates that do not easily allow for year-round diving (I wouldn't be cutting holes in perfectly good ice just to get wet). Even here in SoCal there are many women who are not comfortable in our waters during the colder months and only dive while on vacations.

I prefer to do my "fishing" on sites that are more dive-oriented and allow me to search for "lady go divers" who have advanced certifications or a reasonable number of dives under their weight belt.

I do live in a location where there are some serious divers, mostly those in the industry or bug hunters. However, it is surprising how many people live on this island, surrounded by some of the best temperate water kelp forests, and yet don't dive (or even swim!).

I think the industry really needs to do more to enhance a certified diver's experience and enjoyment of the activity. I'm not referring just to further certifications regarding skills, etc. I'm thinking more information about the marine environment to better inform them and get them to really look at what they are seeing and interpret it. Although my focus is on the living things, this should also include historical information on local wrecks, etc.

I use my cable TV shows, DVD's, weekly newspaper column, and regular appearances on our King Neptune dive boat and our dive park to try to accomplish this (in addition to giving non-divers more exposure to the underwater world). We plan to start a series of regular sharing sessions this year where a local sushi restaurant will host groups of divers visiting the island for video presentations and informal group "discussions" about diving, marine life, etc.

You can own a motorcycle and not be a biker.
You can fish occasionally and not be a fisherman.
You can scuba dive occasionally and not be a diver.

You have to live the lifestyle to BE something.
I am a diver, I am a computer programmer, everything else I do on occasion but I am not that.

I suspect in any activity the number of people that do it occasionally far out number the people that do it all the time.

That may be because we're so spoiled with great weather down here. My brothers and sisters in Ct. refuse to sympathize with the cold weather we're experiencing right now (can't understand why????) and my worry about what the diving conditions will be for this Sunday. I may have to break out my 5 mil suit! :rofl3:

I know what you mean. The past few dives I've been very tempted to buy a hood and insulated gloves. Not because of the water temp but because of the air temp. 62 degrees! Thankfully, when we go diving this weekend it's supposed to be in the mid-70's.

I discovered this while looking for a woman who dives on various on-line dating sites, I'd find one (many) who listed diving as one of her interests, or even passions, only to find that she did some diving a few years ago but none since, or does one dive vacation trip a year. Definitely not what I was looking for.

I agree. Now that I am single I am finding it very difficult to find someone to date that is a diver. My friend set me up with someone he described as a "diver"...the guy had not been diving in seven years!

I also don't buy the excuse that these people don't live near the ocean. Most of my diving is in quarries...some that are three hours away. I'm sure that even most landlocked states have diving options within 3-4 hours.

I'm enjoying all the posts from avid divers who have been certified for less than 5 years or so.

Have any of you noticed the number of people on the board saying I was an avid diver back in the day, got out, and am now getting back into it? Well sometimes life catches up with you and you get burned out - not necessarily to the diving but to the hassle of the logistics of it (at least for someone like me who lives in the middle of someplace like Michigan). I'm just saying to be careful how you judge the dedication of other divers and how you view yourself.

For many, thats what they become - Holiday Divers. These are the folks you see standing on the bottom, silting things up for the rest of us. There is a person at work who got certified when she went to Australia, and hasn't dove since. I can't convince her to come to the quarry. As far as I can tell there are two kinds of divers:

Holiday Diver (they did it because they thought it was neat)
Serious Diver (they are completely consumed with diving)

Of course most SBers are of the Serious Diver variety...

I love to dive....in the warm ocean! I would like to dive more often in the ocean. I live within walking distance of Lake Michigan, but diving in the lake is not what I dream of doing. I have dove there many times as well as many lakes and rivers but I prefer the warm ocean. I do not prefer wrecks, I have dove many wrecks, mostly in the cold water. I cannot afford to make many trips per year. I usually make one big trip per year to a far away place. I usually dive in the lake one or twice a year. I love underwater photography. To me it is serious fun. I don't stand on the reef. I am consumed with where i'm diving next. Just because I get between 20 and 30 dives per year doesn't mean I wouldn't want more warm water dives, it means it's all I can afford.

To the OP - Hell yes we are a minority and I like it!

Many here would like to dive more than they do but kids in college, parents health issues etc. limits available resources.

Back
Top Bottom