Are Suunto Zoops super conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're right--there is some threshold amount of time you can deviate from the zone without it resetting the 3-minute countdown. It doesn't reset if the swell elevates you momentarily. We can't be sure what happened in the situation @myshadeofred referred to.

Not sure if it completely reset but the fact that it doesn’t have a second countdown timer is a no go for me. But my experience was it took 5 min to complete a 3 min safety stop because of this. And our swells were not that great. My oceanic 2.0 restarts if there is a significant difference at safety stop but that is only on extreme conditions or when I’m doing a shallow dive finish. Just not a fan. Lastly, I like my safety stop at 20 feet and we couldn’t figure out how to change that. But for my cousin and her boys it works great and they are happy with it.

Lastly, I like my safety stop at 20 feet and we couldn’t figure out how to change that. But for my cousin and her boys it works great and they are happy with it.
If you like to do your safety stop at 20 feet, a Suunto will not count your time there as a safety stop. It will count it at 19 feet, but not 20. In my experience, people trying to hover while holding a stop will usually not be sufficiently buoyant and will tend to drift down a few feet, eventually realize it, go back up, drift down, realize it, go back up, drift back down, etc. If someone is trying to do a safety stop at 18-19 feet, it would not surprise me at all if it took them 5 minutes to get the computer to count off 3.

Like I said, I would never try to fool my Perdix. The Zoop is so conservative, it will keep you safe while on air, even when it is set to nitrox.
Go on, tell us the no stop times for 30m for a Zoop on 32% and a Perdix on air.

Interesting feet you have there at around 12 msw.

Yeah, typo. But interesting comparison between algorithms, nonetheless

Go on, tell us the no stop times for 30m for a Zoop on 32% and a Perdix on air.

Why don't you dive with me? You can see for yourself. I know what they are when I look at them at 99'. I also know I have a big difference when I come back up to 60'.

Last edited:
Also one thing to consider is that the Suunto Zoop rounds up in Nitrox an entire percentage. For example if you enter 32% Nitrox as the OP did it would actually give you an MOD for 33% of 107 ft vice the correct MOD for 32% of 111 ft.

So in a scenario where you analyze your tank as 31.9% most of would enter in 32% into our computer but a zoop would assume you can't round to the nearest 1% and therefore round up for you to 33% and further limit your diving.

To illustrate what I'm talking about I've attached a picture of the Zoop showing 32% but actually showing the MOD for a 33% mix (107 ft)
zoop.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, typo. But interesting comparison between algorithms, nonetheless

Meh. I don't know what it's actually showing: 6 minutes at 30 metres, then 3 metre ascent in 2 minutes, then 3 metre ascent in 4 minutes, then 6 metre ascent in 14 minutes, then 6 metre ascent in 16 minutes and at that point then NDLs are between 15 minutes and one hour? If that's what it is, SFW? What happens after I spend 4 minutes at 12 metres? -- I'm pretty sure I won't be OOG yet on AL80 and I'm also pretty sure I won't have the gas to spend another hour at that depth. So what does this pretty picture actually mean to me?

Also one thing to consider is that the Suunto Zoop rounds up in Nitrox an entire percentage. For example if you enter 32% Nitrox as the OP did it would actually give you an MOD for 33% of 107 ft vice the correct MOD for 32% of 111 ft.

So in a scenario where you analyze your tank as 31.9% most of would enter in 32% into our computer but a zoop would assume you can't round to the nearest 1% and therefore round up for you to 33% and further limit your diving.

To illustrate what I'm talking about I've attached a picture of the Zoop showing 32% but actually showing the MOD for a 33% mix (107 ft)
View attachment 437648

It also calculates the NDL on 31% IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom