Are split fins dying out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you can't maintain the bottom of a quarry or prevent the silting of a tight spot I don't see any use for them.

Split fins and visibility do not mix… If you dive the ocean and don't get concerned with limited visibility due to fin kicks then enjoy away.

if you can't maintain the bottom of a quarry or prevent the silting of a tight spot I don't see any use for them.

Split fins and visibility do not mix… If you dive the ocean and don't get concerned with limited visibility due to fin kicks then enjoy away.
Yeah, I keep hearing this argument - often just before the guy with paddles jump in just to silt the place up and preferrably break off pieces of coral with the fins..

Dive shop sales of split fins are tailing off because of cost ... why pay $200 for them in a dive shop when you can easily find them on eBay for less than $50?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 05:11 AM ----------

It's a crock, yanno ... it's not difficult to learn to dive splits in a way that don't produce silting. Many of my students show up with split fins, and they learn how to kick without silting.

The problem is both how they're used and how they're marketed. Splits are so easy to kick that people often overkick them ... which will create silting no matter what style of fin you're using. Then there's the fact that they're frequently marketed under the concept that they're "faster" than paddle fins. But one has to ask, where are you going in such a hurry? People who go fast tend to overkick, which gets back to the first point.

Slow down, enjoy the scenery, and adopt non-silting techniques (which you can easily do in split fins) ... you'll not only produce less silt, you'll see more ... as will all the divers around you. And as an added bonus, your air consumption will go down ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Then there's the fact that they're frequently marketed under the concept that they're "faster" than paddle fins. But one has to ask, where are you going in such a hurry? People who go fast tend to overkick, which gets back to the first point.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
...And now this is gonna turn into a freedive fin thread :p

Dive shop sales of split fins are tailing off because of cost ... why pay $200 for them in a dive shop when you can easily find them on eBay for less than $50?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 05:11 AM ----------

It's a crock, yanno ... it's not difficult to learn to dive splits in a way that don't produce silting. Many of my students show up with split fins, and they learn how to kick without silting.

The problem is both how they're used and how they're marketed. Splits are so easy to kick that people often overkick them ... which will create silting no matter what style of fin you're using. Then there's the fact that they're frequently marketed under the concept that they're "faster" than paddle fins. But one has to ask, where are you going in such a hurry? People who go fast tend to overkick, which gets back to the first point.

Slow down, enjoy the scenery, and adopt non-silting techniques (which you can easily do in split fins) ... you'll not only produce less silt, you'll see more ... as will all the divers around you. And as an added bonus, your air consumption will go down ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe someone can find a video of said technique that eliminates silting out a muddy quarry or cave?

I'm interested to see this as I've never seen a single diver with split fins and good finning technique.

Let me be clear... I believe you Bob, I just haven't seen it yet. (Not saying it's not possible)

Warm Regards,
Garth McClune

Garth

Maybe someone can find a video of said technique that eliminates silting out a muddy quarry or cave?

I'm interested to see this as I've never seen a single diver with split fins and good finning technique.

Let me be clear... I believe you Bob, I just haven't seen it yet. (Not saying it's not possible)

Warm Regards,
Garth McClune

It's not rocket surgery ... you bend your knees, get your fin tips up and kick back instead of down. You also need to keep your fins inside the slipstream. There's places in Puget Sound you can silt out with a stray thought if you don't pay attention. With some practice and technique, you can dive those places just as well with splits as with paddles without creating vis issues. I do it regularly with students and dive buddies.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me tell you why split fins are not going anywhere......because of people like my fiance.

My fiance was diagnosed with bone cancer when she was 9 years old. She managed to beat it, but in the process lost her entire femur bone. In that bones place, is a steel rod. As such, she can't run, she can barely jog, and all in all, her right leg doesn't have much strength. The split fins make it a LOT easier to dive. She tried several pairs of paddle fins, but it was all too much for her. She would get fatigued easily. With her split fins, she can dive all day, and her leg is perfectly fine. And before anyone asks, yes she was cleared to dive.

Let me tell you why split fins are not going anywhere......because of people like my fiance.

My fiance was diagnosed with bone cancer when she was 9 years old. She managed to beat it, but in the process lost her entire femur bone. In that bones place, is a steel rod. As such, she can't run, she can barely jog, and all in all, her right leg doesn't have much strength. The split fins make it a LOT easier to dive. She tried several pairs of paddle fins, but it was all too much for her. She would get fatigued easily. With her split fins, she can dive all day, and her leg is perfectly fine. And before anyone asks, yes she was cleared to dive.

That's a great story and thank you for sharing that. I wish I could enjoy diving with my wife but she isn't interested at all.

Garth

Back
Top Bottom