Are split fins dying out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you mean companies will make stuff to sell. Shops and ads will tell you what you need, which just happens to be what the companies are making. Then the next year the company will make something new and tell you what you bought last year sucked and you need the "new" thing. Of course there will be tons of big expensive ads to showcase this.

Of course if they listened to the customers they could not push stuff on them.

Good point.
Let's not forget the magazine "Gear guides"; they seem to try and steer divers into what they "need".

Right after Farce,I mean Force Fins get accepted by the cave community.

As long as duct tape manufacturers make the product to repair split fins (we've done this more than a few times), fin makers will continue to make broken fins.

The vis will clear when people stop trying to blame there gear for there trim and control issues there not willing to put time into fixing in my opinion
Last edited by maderadiver; Yesterday at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
The vis will clear when people stop trying to blame their gear for their trim and control issues they're not willing to put time into fixing in my opinion

I tried a pair of Atomic split fins one time and I felt guilty I was going so fast with such little effort. I outran the dive partner all over the place, finished the dive, returned the fins to their owner and forgot all about it. I may have been interested but the cost is what scared me away - those fins in 2001 were something like 160.00US -

Keep an eye out for people selling Smoke on the Water's in the classifieds on the forum; I picked up a pair for my brother-in-law from an instructor who had to switch to the dive shop's gear, and another for myself from another guy on the forum later. Now that they're well over $200, I choked on the prices, too, till I realized lightly used could be had for less.

I don't think split fins are going anywhere anytime soon, unless and until something alleged to be better is heavily marketed by the big brands.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the basic fin types in actual use by scuba dives; basic paddle, split, jet, etc...

Richard.

The vis will clear when people stop trying to blame their gear for their trim and control issues they're not willing to put time into fixing in my opinion

Got me but it was late and technically those are grammar mistakes not spelling

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the basic fin types in actual use by scuba dives; basic paddle, split, jet, etc...

Richard.

I would imagine that split fins are more heavily represented; the majority of divers seem to use them. At least from what I've seen.

A shop would be crazy not to keep them in stock. A lot of divers ask for them.

With a decrease in popularity of lifts such as the Dead Lift and Squat.......there will likely be a steady demand for split fins.:D

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine down in LA who works for Sport Chalet. Somehow our conversation went to split fins. He said his store only has one pair of splits hanging on the wall, and those will probably be discontinued soon. Is this true? the end of the split fin craze? If Sport Chalet is closing out split fins that means it must be for real! They are recreational gear headquarters! I can't believe it.

Every time I hit clear water with them on I think to myself "this could be the dive where my fins get me killed". But then the world disappears in a silt-out and I feel safe again.

Also they are very handy for picking up the long lengths of string careless divers litter the sea floor with. It's like they are string magnets or something!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom