Are split fins dying out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yawn. I love my Apollo Bio-Fins and use them on all my local dives. They are a bit heavy to travel with so I take my old US Divers Blades on foreign trips. Personally I don't understand all the negativity around split fins. I think they're great (and I've been diving over 50 years).

I quite agree! I've got 8 pairs of the Apollos with SS spring straps, have been very happy with them!

Maybe someone can find a video of said technique that eliminates silting out a muddy quarry or cave?

I'm interested to see this as I've never seen a single diver with split fins and good finning technique.

Let me be clear... I believe you Bob, I just haven't seen it yet. (Not saying it's not possible)

Warm Regards,
Garth McClune

Garth

Garth,
If you want to see a professional dive with splits, you should take a trip to San Antonio and go diving with John Duggan, Duggan Diving, and watch him dive with Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins or any other type of fin. John has been diving for over 50 years, could paper a room with his credentials, including NAUI and PADI Course Director, Technical Director, etc., and he can do it all without silting or hitting anything. I am also sure he is not the only experienced diver that possesses such abilities to master a wide variety of fin types and kicking techniques. Silting, hitting the coral, and all the other bad diving things we see are about lack of experience, skill and technique, and have nothing to do with whether the fin is split, paddle, or some custom design. Maybe we could all put this topic on the shelf once and for all. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom