Are split fins dying out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if they're on the way out but they've seen their heyday and are on a decline, for sure. While they decrease finning resistance I don't think there's any evidence that they increase efficency, and are based on a false analysis of wing lift and Bernoulli's Principle. One study I read in Undercurrent the efficiency of some fins improved with taping of the splits.

I don't think there's any evidence that they increase efficency, and are based on a false analysis of wing lift and Bernoulli's Principle. One study I read in Undercurrent the efficiency of some fins improved with taping of the splits.

Shhhh......Don't tell the split fin guys that; They think they are more efficient.:wink:

I will go to a Sport Chalet personally and report back with positive physical evidence. If it really is true then what this means is fin sales stagnated and the manufacturers are scrambling to come up with something new that people "must switch to because it's new and therefore better".
Time for me to break into the fin scene, I'm going to go get some plywood now.

Reactions: mdb
I was a Jetfin guy for years . I had no problem test diving split fins when first introduced what seems like twenty years ago . It was the Twin Jet as I worked for a Scubapro dealer . I was not sold on them at the time for no other fact that they were easy to move in water compared to a real Jet Fin .
I do like , and own a pair of Apollo Bio Fins now . I go back and forth between paddle and split . Call me crazy but I prefer a paddle in low current and splits in current . Each to his own .
Now the modern fins I see in the shop today with extenders and bells and whistles , well they do scare me and I feel I could have a catostrophic fin failure if I dare try them . At least the split fins looked like a good idea when I first saw them and I had no fin fear from them .
Good luck to the next gereration , you will have more fin controvesy than we could of ever imagined .

Good luck to the next gereration , you will have more fin controvesy than we could of ever imagined .
HOLY CRAP!! I hope Im around to see THAT! :eek:

Be Afraid , Be Very Afraid ... $_57.jpg

Yawn. I love my Apollo Bio-Fins and use them on all my local dives. They are a bit heavy to travel with so I take my old US Divers Blades on foreign trips. Personally I don't understand all the negativity around split fins. I think they're great (and I've been diving over 50 years).

Interesting idea. Split fins were gaining popularity when I first started diving but I have seen a regression in them. I know I don't use them anymore!

Back
Top Bottom