Are scuba regulators life-support equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmulvaney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Are scuba regulators life-support equipment?

I was just reading another post about a repair claim where this subject came up. There were people on both sides of the issue. I believe it is life support equipment because I don't breathe too well underwater. What is your feeling on this?

The only people that you will find spouting the whole "life support" thing are the ones that are making money off the sale or repair of regulators. And they will tell you it's for your own good.

Why does it matter to you?

N
I just found it an interesting conversation.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2014 at 08:55 PM ----------

I just came across this old thread. I did search before I posted but didn't see it.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/7740-where-did-life-support-phrase.html

---------- Post added January 25th, 2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 25th, 2014 at 08:58 PM ----------

Then don't go under water.

Why are you so snarky?

Depends what you use it for, I'd say. Not so much for me, usually. Sometimes. Not in the same sense as say, the axles on my truck. You could say my hiking boots are life support equipment too, I suppose.

What's behind your question - what if it IS life support equipment?

Depends what you use it for, I'd say. Not so much for me, usually. Sometimes. Not in the same sense as say, the axles on my truck. You could say my hiking boots are life support equipment too, I suppose.

What's behind your question - what if it IS life support equipment?

I just found the conversation interesting. I do dive in overhead environments and believe it to be life support equipment as I have already stated.

Last edited:
If you are properly trained and equipped for the dive you are doing, a regulator is no more "life support equipment" than the tire on your car.

Now wait, tires on cars.............that's a big deal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom