Are drygloves worth the $$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott once bubbled...
Pug - can you give me a few more details on the surgical tubing thing.... I wasn't aware of that problem. Where does the tubing go, how much do you need........

I had just sent an email to covci before your second response Pug, regarding price, installation......

Thanks for your help guys

SS
It is no big deal... just a short 4"~5" piece slipped under each wrist seal before the glove is snapped on. They allow the gloves to equalize with the suit and if a glove ever leaks you can pull the glove, pull the tube and then replace the glove. Now you are diving with a wet glove but your suit stays dry.

If you don't use tubes (coffee stir straws work as well) air from the suit will get by the seals on descent and eventually relieve the squeeze in the glove... but on ascent the air cannot go back the other way and the gloves get huge (depending on how deep you went.)

If you don't keep the wrist seals in place you won't need tubes... but if a glove leaks you will get a wet and cold arm... and that is no fun.

One caveat I would add about the Diving Concepts system is the gloves are expensive to replace. I pay $2-$3 for my gloves and use a separate liner appropriate to the water temp. My system is also removable and still has the wrist seals intact.

Just another option...

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...
I pay $2-$3 for my gloves and use a separate liner appropriate to the water temp. My system is also removable and still has the wrist seals intact.
you can do the same with DC rings. You could put dishwashing gloves on them if you wanted :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

you can do the same with DC rings. You could put dishwashing gloves on them if you wanted :D

I may have seen a slightly different system then. It had a scalloped ring on the glove ring to help get the glove out of the suit receptable. In that one, the part on the suit was fairly flat and more like a hard plastic than softer rubber. Didn't look like it would hold rubber gloves that well.

My wife says it I take the dishwashing gloves then I have to do the dishes. Not a fair trade :upset:

Phil

Definitely worth getting. Buy them from Chris at COVCI and install them yourself.

Check out this dryglove thread , and the great option that Retnug threw out there.

I've only got 4 dives on my dryglove/ring system, and for less than $80 (about $125 Canadian), I'm a happy warm-handed diver.

I use the unlined version of the gloves for easy post-dive drying, and I also use separate Wigwam thin liners. For equalization, I put the liners on my hands before I don the drysuit sleeves, and the liner membrane stays under my wrist seals and allows for equalization. And in the case of a tear, I can pull off both the glove and liner, and I doubt I would get too wet before I got the latex directly on my wrists. Then, the rest of the dive would be with a wet-glove.

I think the OS Systems rings and Seattle Marine gloves are the least expensive way to have drygloves, and in my limited experience, they've done the job so far.

Rick

ScubaScott once bubbled...
I should have been clearer guys....... like I said - purchasing the drysuit - an option of having drygloves installed by the manufacturer is quite costly. I have no doubt drygloves are better for the water I dive, but can I install the dryglove system on the suit myself for less than the manufacturer is going to charge me? The dryglove option ranges from $240-300 (Canadian $) depending on the suit I decide to go with........

SS

Hi,
I dove this weekend and had to push ice flows away from our entry point. After an hour my hands were still warm, but my buddy's hand were freezing after about half an hour (reglular wet suit gloves). I put the shot bag hand warmers inside my dry gloves and they make a difference as well. I wouldn't dive without them. Try some if you have a buddy using them.

DEFINITELY...I purchased them as well when I bought my dry suit. Your hands still get a bit chilly (NW diver here) but when you are back on the boat your hands are dry and comfortable. I am seeing more and more of them on dive trips that I go on. Everyone agreeing that it is one of the best purchases they have made. Of course we are mostly cold water divers from 44-52 F degrees year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom