Are drygloves worth the $$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm finally going to be able to buy a drysuit this spring, and while price isn't really a deciding factor for which suit I purchase, I'm looking at adding dry gloves for a "extra" and just wondered if they were worth the extra $$$.

SS

In my drysuit, I find that my hands are colder with wetsuit gloves than when I'm in the same gloves in a wetsuit. The wrist seals, though they should not cut off circulation, do slow the circulation to your hands somewhat.

I wouldn't consider diving right now (40 degree water) without getting them first. For luke-cold water (50-60 degrees) wet suit gloves will work ok.

I just ordered my Diving Concepts 2mm crushed neoprene ring set dry gloves from COVCI. I'll put up a post about how they work when I try them out.

If you plan to dive in water less than 40F, I would say they absolutely are worth every penny you pay for them. If you can, try your wet gloves, then try some friend's dry gloves. I think you'll agree they're a good investment.

Good morning,
I feel guilty for not posting a review of the Diving Concepts gloves I received from COVCI, until now. I wanted to get in several dives with them before I referred them to anyone.

Regardless of the gloves performance, I am someone that appreciates greatly what, unfortunately, has become the lost art of customer service. Chris at COVCI is obviously a very firm believer in taking care of his customers. When I have a good experience with a shop or an individual from this board I like to let others know about it.

I met Chris several weeks ago and had a great time learning more about him. On our intro dive together, I dove with my wet gloves and it took only that 1 time to realize diving dry but with wet hands in 40degree or below water wasn't going to cut it for me. We discussed dry gloves and he referred me to the crushed neoprene one due to the smaller size of my hands. He had them delivered to me on time and as promised. I was able to dive them several days later in 37 degree water and then the following week with similar water temps. I was a little apprehensive about not having a latex seal on my wrist and had visions of the pvc ring not holding and dealing with a flooded suit of rather "cool" 37 degree water. So far that "experience" has merely been a figment of my imagination. The gloves performed as promised. They come with a liner; however, I am going to add a second one as I noticed the finger tips getting a little cooler, only started when I started below 63'... compression occuring? It wasn't that bad, I just like experimenting with different options. Also, I noticed that there is a way to install the glove rings which allow a latex seal on the wrist but until I have a failure, I'm not going to mess with it. The ring seal is surprisingly solid yet easy to don/doff.

Overall, I would say the gloves are great and well worth the money. My impression of Chris at COVCI is that here is a guy that believes that taking care of the customer is just the right thing to do. I also get the impression that if his customers aren't happy, then Chris isn't happy and will do whatever he can to make sure that everyone feels good with his transactions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them publicly or pm me if you so desire.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

I should have been clearer guys....... like I said - purchasing the drysuit - an option of having drygloves installed by the manufacturer is quite costly. I have no doubt drygloves are better for the water I dive, but can I install the dryglove system on the suit myself for less than the manufacturer is going to charge me? The dryglove option ranges from $240-300 (Canadian $) depending on the suit I decide to go with........

SS

Not worth it if you value money more than comfort.

But if you like to be warm and comfortable while diving in cold water (and I assume that you do since you are buying a drysuit and cost is no object there) then get the drygloves!

And I advise using them with the wrist seal intact... eventually you will be glad you did... the wrist seal can be set so that it is not very tight at all thus taking care of circulation... and if the rings are removed for diving with wetgloves during the summer the latex seals will spring right back to normal.

BTW we use short chunks of surgical tubing under the wrist seals to equalize the gloves... this is very imortant on ascent where gas must escape from the gloves or you end up with Mickey Mouse hands.

ScubaScott once bubbled...
can I install the dryglove system on the suit myself for less than the manufacturer is going to charge me?
yes....absolutely.... $130 from COVCI and the installation is... well... the way I do it with the seals intact... a chore but worth it :D

Pug - can you give me a few more details on the surgical tubing thing.... I wasn't aware of that problem. Where does the tubing go, how much do you need........

I had just sent an email to covci before your second response Pug, regarding price, installation......

Thanks for your help guys

SS

dcostanza once bubbled...

Overall, I would say the gloves are great and well worth the money. My impression of Chris at COVCI is that here is a guy that believes that taking care of the customer is just the right thing to do. I also get the impression that if his customers aren't happy, then Chris isn't happy and will do whatever he can to make sure that everyone feels good with his transactions.

I bought my hose setups from covci in spring 2002 - had a few problems on the delivery end that they cleared up immediately, from thier end - no work for me. I'll gladly shop there again.....

SS

Back
Top Bottom