Are Dry Snorkels Really that Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion, is that a real Dry snorkel is only of use to a snorkeler, (will avoid the training issues.) once you switch to your reg you are flooding the tube no matter what, and if the tube has a valve on the top, you will have a positively buoyant object attached to your strap.

What I prefer on ocean drift dives, is a snorkel with a flap or baffles on the top to reduce the amount of water that splashes in from the waves. I still am not sure if the purge valve on the bottom, is of any help.

Belmont:
I had a "dry" snorkel that had a ping-pong ball in a cage to keep the water out.
Ever saw one?

When I was a kid I did. I even had a full face mask with tandem snorkels with ping pong ball closures.:)

Cool kid on the block!
icon_cool.gif

spectrum:
When I was a kid I did. I even had a full face mask with tandem snorkels with ping pong ball closures.:)
LoL I found that same mask in my grand parents house. My mother had it when she lived in Hawaii

I second the Oceanmaster dry snorkel, it's really dry,, not a drop of water entered through the intake on over 40 dives.

Web Monkey:
That depends on who the user is and what it's used for.

For a diver, something really simple and fold-able so it can be bent and stuffed into a pocket when diving works really well. Especially since it won't be hanging on the mask strap, while underwater.

However, for someone who doesn't dive, and goes snorkeling a few times a year, and doesn't like inhaling water, the completely dry snorkels like Ocean Master work quite nicely.

Terry
Won one of the Ocean Master dries at the last PC Spearfishing Open as a door prize.Been trying to give it away, Haven't found any one that would take it yet. Maybe I'll have to donate it back to the club as a prize in this years tournament.

I remember the old "S" shaped snorkels with the ping pong ball in a cage (1950,s) we used to cut the top off them to make a "j" so that when you cleared them, they didn't puke all over the top of your head,, the mouth pieces would cut your gums after a few hours use. But you could cruze around on the surface with your face under water while looking for a fish or lobster for dinner also remember those toe killing Voit duck feef and the, always fogged up, round masks that had no way to equalize.. Mom was always shouting at me cause I couldn't hear a thing she said!!!!

AHHH yes--- The good old days are gone forever

though it might be a moot point by now i felt the need to add my opinion. i see no need to use anything other than the basic "J" snorkel, anything else is more of a pain than a boon. pruge valves can leak, the tops of dry snorkels can stuck and not let you get a breath. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) as they say ... the simple stuff sometimes causes the least headaches

H2Andy:
hey, Wisnu, sort of off-topic, but i've always wondered

does Darussalam mean anything? i think it has the word for "God" as a component. is that correct?
why do you love disturbing people about who they are?
I can remember your "welcome" message to me...
Here is NOT the place to classify and disrespect people and their beliefs and ideas
and
NO WHERE can be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom